Uncrippled Pro Tools demo?

Seafroggys

So in my current project I am recording both at my home studio and a professional studio as well.

The problem is that I use Reaper, and the pro studio uses Pro Tools.

This isn't a problem on my end. Its easy for me to export the tracks, put them on an external drive, go over there, and import them. But....the stuff we record at that studio, I'd like to be able to take home so I can listen to it and do test-mixes (ultimately it will be mixed at the other studio once done, but I like to play around with things on my own) but more importantly, so I can do edits, and then reimport it back into the pro studio (since time costs money, anything I can do on my own, I will).

Now I have the Pro Tool sessions on my hard drive. So I have two options....the studio finally upgraded from 8 to 11, so now they have offline bouncing (jesus Pro Tools was slow on that ball) and if I have time at the end of the day I can have him export those tracks. But it'll still take some time, 20-30 minutes probably.

The other option would be dependent on what is available for free. Is there a version of Pro Tools, a demo or trial version or something, that I can download and be able to export those tracks to .wav? It can be a week long demo, I don't care, I just need access to the program for a few hours. And of course I want to stay legit. So is something like this available? I haven't checked the Avid website yet, but I will after I post this. Or is there a third party program that can do this? (doubtful, but who knows)

You used to be able to (probably still can) demo PT 10/11 but you'll need an ilok 2.
If the session isn't massive you could dropbox it to me and I'd gladly help.

For future reference there is another option.
If you are interested in pure dry tracks only then have the guy save a duplicate of the session (for his safety), and in the duplicate just consolidate all the tracks and save. Now get him to give you a copy of the whole folder.

Consolidating turns any edits/comps into one solid take per track, so make sure the fades are all neat etc first.

Now, it'll take a bit of hunting (that's on your time), but those full length wav files will be in the 'audio files' folder, which saved you having to bounce them all out. ;)

Yeah I found out about the ilok2 thing after posting that. Awesome that their demo is uncrippled, but that sucks. I avoid things that require ilok out of principle.

If the session isn't massive you could dropbox it to me and I'd gladly help.

I considered that option but didn't want to ask. Thanks for the offer! We'll see what it ends up being after I record the strings on Saturday.

Consolidating turns any edits/comps into one solid take per track, so make sure the fades are all neat etc first.

Ah yes, I know about the audio folder, I've tried to put together comps manually, but it takes forever and its never exactly as it was originally recorded. This might be a decent option. We'll see.

Thank you for that info.

I considered that option but didn't want to ask. Thanks for the offer! We'll see what it ends up being after I record the strings on Saturday.

No problem. :)

If you happen to have an old mbox/2/whatever, I'm sure you wouldn't have to look too far for a no-longer-needed PT8 auth code. ;)

Hahaha yeah true that. Everything I have right now was recorded on 8, although when I go in on Saturday I'm sure it'll all be converted to 11.

We didn't get everything done, so it'll still be awhile before I convert everything. Regardless, we double tracked the strings, which was 7 tracks a take for a total of 14. Jesus mighty.....

You know what? If you're still up to it, I don't have the massive strings parts completed yet but I do have some of the piano and acoustic guitar tracks that I can put up with the project file if you wouldn't mind helping me out there. Those are done. If I did my math right that's a total of 32 files (stereo piano and mono acoustic guitar spread out among 15 tracks or so). Wouldn't imagine that would take too long. And I can paypal you $5 or something for a beer ;)

Back