Too robotic

Sydney

Hi,

I'm wondering how to make my songs a little less robotic like, in regards to the rhythm. When I record a track (like piano), I never quite play it perfectly, then I quantize it, and it makes it way better, but almost too perfect where it sounds like a robot, know what I mean? What's the trick to quantize, but not too perfect? I've tried messing with the "swing" function within quantize as well, but that didn't really do it either.

Thanks!

By the way, I'm using pro tools 8.0.5

Have you tried keeping the quantization level more relaxed? Also, much more time consuming is to manually edit the midi notes including the velocity and pedal data.

Hi,

I'm wondering how to make my songs a little less robotic like, in regards to the rhythm. When I record a track (like piano), I never quite play it perfectly, then I quantize it, and it makes it way better, but almost too perfect where it sounds like a robot, know what I mean? What's the trick to quantize, but not too perfect? I've tried messing with the "swing" function within quantize as well, but that didn't really do it either.

Thanks!

By the way, I'm using pro tools 8.0.5

When you're applying quantize to your midi set the 'random' option to a low percentage.
I think it depends on how fine your quantize is so try 15% listen, undo, try again with 10%, listen, undo, etc.

It makes a huge difference!
It's most noticeable when a chord is played. No one plays all notes of a chord with even weight and timing.

Thanks people. I usually just edit things manually; haven't had much success using quantize, so I REALLY appreciate the info on that. Will give it a try.

I've also heard of a technique where some instruments are layered, for example doubling up on the bass. Anyone familiar with how that might make it sound less robotic and more "genuine"?

Back