Sync Alesis HR-16 w/Pro Tools as Click

Goodness

Hello All,

I am new to the forum so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area or not.

I am a professional studio musician (drummer). I want to use my Alesis HR-16 as a click track and have the tempo driven from Pro Tools.

I've done this many times in the past but I don't know exactly how the engineers went about setting it up. (Hey, I'm a drummer - I count to 4)

The studio I am going to do this in is running an older version of Pro Tools (8.2 I believe) on a Windows machine. I'm trying to find some instructions that I can share with my engineer buddy so we can get this working. This is a small home studio so he's never done this before.

The built-in click in PT is not exactly musical. I program simple percussion patterns in the HR-16 to use as clicks. However, it's always been my understanding that the clock in the HR-16 is not as accurate as it should be. So, engineers I have worked with in the past always drove the HR-16 from the Pro Tools clock.

I see in the HR-16 manual that the clock can be set to either MIDI & INTERNAL (default), INTERNAL ONLY, or TAPE SYNC IN.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can give me.

Back