Seperating Tracks w/Midi via Protools

lyricalcharms

Made Man 4 Life
so i dont mess wit midi much but im trying. i have a understanding of midi, but no one to confirm or correct me. and i wanna least have this info down so people arent waiting on me to trouble shoot, and figure it out. (i did post a simple version of this, but never got to try it, and since then i have had a deeper look into it. hopefully i can try it out this week or next.)

so i wanna record the layers(tracks) of a instrumental, that was put together with the use of Roland Fantom x6. The beat only has 10 layers.

here is how i think I'm suppose to do it.

connect Fantom Midi out to Protools Midi in, and another from Protools Midi out, to Fantom Midi in. Its is my understanding that midi can hold the info for 16 layers(tracks). so since im only the 10 layers, i would open a session, bring up 10 midi tracks, assign each midi track to channales 1 through 10. let protools know to look for midi info, select the tempo and record.

that will track all the midi info for a song thats been laid out on the Fantom, in 1 pass. so now that i have all the midi info on protools, how do i record the individual tracks?

i know this is where i hook up the audio ins and outs... but can i simply mute all but 1 midi track on protools, press record or do i have to mute all the layers except 1 on the fantom and press record on protools?

and since i have them both hooked up midi wise, do i just have to make sure tracks are in record able, and then just press play on the fantom? or do i have to press play on the protools?

thank u for your time. appreciate it.

Back