Sending a stereo bus OUT one side at a time.

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hi there,

Maybe because I'm not at my DAW right now and/or because I'm just not thinking of it simply enough, but how can I send only one side of a stereo buss out,one at a time. To elaborate...

I have great multi-track mix going. To the common practice in order to make the mix a little punchier, I sent just the kick, snare, toms and bass guitar to an auxiliary bus and added some crushing 1176 parallel compression to that bus. It really phattens things up, as you may have experienced. I feel like I want some more dirt, I need to crunch it up a little bit. I've tried a few different plugins to achieve this and am getting that dreaded harsh cold distortion typically caused by the digital-world. I have a GAP pre 73 (neve 1073 pre amp clone), but just one channel. So I thought I'd send the bus out to THAT and overdrive it there a little to warm it up and phatten it up even more, then back into the DAW and blend with original drum/bass guitar mix to taste.

So with just one channel, if I want the buss to remain in stereo, how should I go about this? I know that I should send just the left channel out to the 73, print it in the DAW, then do the same for the right. But how to do this? Having a brain fart here.

Any help gladly appreciated! Thanks!

You do exactly what you described. The thing is, keep the bus output stereo while you're doing it.

You'd just set the bus outputs to line outputs 1+2, or whatever pair is free. Say 1+2 for now.

Plug line out 1 into your comp and output that back tho line input 1. Create new track, set input 1, record. That's the left side done.

Then, keep your bus outputs the same, but patch line output 2 to the compressor, and back into line input 1.
Create a second new track, set input 1, and record. That's the right side done.

Ok, you end up with two mono tracks instead of a tidy stereo track, but it should get the job done just the same.
(I've always though PT should let you record to one side of a stereo track, then do the other side after)

The alternative is just to send the stereo bus to a mono output and comp that.
From your list, the only thing that's likely to actually be panned in the mix is the toms, so they're the only thing that would be negatively affected.

I'm disappointed that you haven't used this as an excuse to buy more gear, if I'm honest. :p

You do exactly what you described. The thing is, keep the bus output stereo while you're doing it.

You'd just set the bus outputs to line outputs 1+2, or whatever pair is free. Say 1+2 for now.

Plug line out 1 into your comp and output that back tho line input 1. Create new track, set input 1, record. That's the left side done.

Then, keep your bus outputs the same, but patch line output 2 to the compressor, and back into line input 1.
Create a second new track, set input 1, and record. That's the right side done.

Ok, you end up with two mono tracks instead of a tidy stereo track, but it should get the job done just the same.
(I've always though PT should let you record to one side of a stereo track, then do the other side after)

The alternative is just to send the stereo bus to a mono output and comp that.
From your list, the only thing that's likely to actually be panned in the mix is the toms, so they're the only thing that would be negatively affected.

I'm disappointed that you haven't used this as an excuse to buy more gear, if I'm honest. :p

How'd I know it'd be you to answer first?! Thanks again, man. Like I figured, I was over-thinking it (hence the post) and thinking I needed to maybe bounce to a single stereo track, separate them, then send each out one at a time, back in, rebounce for tidiness, etc. Your method saves couple steps, so thanks!

They're actually already comped (typical 1176 smash), and so I'll be sending that smashed mix out to the 1073 pre clone and adding some more grit. Will be interesting, never tried OTB for adding some grind.

Thanks again!

Back