SE just to keep the PT chops up...?

kc23

Hi there

I'm looking for an interface for my laptop, and am considering the MAudio Mobile-pre that comes bundled with PT MP.

However, I just saw the Fast Track Pro, that gives me the possibility of two more inputs (albeit by spdif), and the midi in/out. This one comes bundled with PT SE. And it's only $50 more than the mobile pre.

So, I guess my questions are about how crippled is the SE? I just want PT to practice shorcuts and basic things that get me around whenever I have to go do some tracking at some PT based studio... Will the SE sufice for this? I just read here a post about someone not being able to find the mixer view, cause it may not be there...!!

I've been working in music production for more than ten years, and my main DAW is not PT, but since most tracking studios have it, I had to learn it. However, don't want to fell out of practice with all these new versions coming out!

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

P.D.: If I where to get the fast track... what pre-amps with spdif out are out there that I could use?

STAY AWAY FROM PT SE!!! I teach recording using both PT and Logic on Windows and Mac platforms respectively, and two of my students have switched to Logic strictly because of SE. Two examples - 1: The "quantize" button is dead. After days of beating our heads on our monitors, a Google search revealed that you use the "snap to grid" instead. Quite intuitive, eh? 2: A student's PT completely died because he plugged his C400 into a different usb port. Couldn't even uninstall/reinstall PT, had to wipe his os. Two thumbs down to avid for having released such an embarrassment.

I find that very hard to believe.

SE is certainly basic, and apparently not without potential setup issues, but plenty of people use it and there are plenty of very informative tutorial videos.

Like anything, if it's not working properly then there's almost certainly a setup problem, or a user input problem.

Last edited:
Back