Screen Cast with Pro Tools 9

mixgeneral

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to do a screen cast using ProTools 9 on MacBook Pro simultaneously recording both internal mic on the laptop (for recording voice) and also capturing the ProTools audio internally? I tried to do it with Screenium, ScreenFlow but I ran into an issue that I can't capture external mic and internal audio from ProTools at the same time while recording a video tut.

Hi there,
You should be able to do this with quicktime (comes with OSX) and soundflower, which is free.

Soundflower is a virtual bus program.
In audio/midi setup, create an aggregate device containing your audio hardware and 'soundflower 2ch'.

In protools, set your main output as hardware 1+2 so you can hear what you're doing, but also use sends to output the session to 'soundflower 2ch'.
In audio/midi setup, set your main output as soundflower 2ch so that the mic will play out there.

(Alternatively you could add built in audio to the aggregate, and run the mic through your PT session in rec arm mode.)
(I'd do this, because it lets you compress and eq the voiceover.)

Now open quicktime and go to file->New screen recording, and set the audio input as 'soundflower 2ch'.

Quicktime has a little live audio meter, so you can make sure your mic and session are coming through.

Really appreciated your detailed reply, specially that now I know I can do it in Quick Time, of course I already bought all other software lol, however running into problmes. I am trying to do that but not hearing a sound now. So I opened Audio Setup. I created new Aggregate Device with Soundflower 2ch, Buil-in Microphone and Built-in Output. I went to PT and used that new setup. Two things, nothing is coming out of speakers and I can't see Soundflower out anywhere in sends??

No problem at all.
I did forget to mention a few things.

Once all of the above is done and PT is set to use the aggregate device, you need to go into protools and go to Setup ->IO.

Go to the input tab. Select all paths and delete them (don't worry..it's fine.)
Now click default. PT should repopulate your list with some inputs.

Go to the output tab. Select all paths, and delete those too.
Click default...same thing will happen.

Now sadly, Protools will just list your IO as output 1+2, output 3+4 etc etc. It wont inherit the names.
You'll need to reference your aggregate device to see which is which.

Basically, one set of outputs will give you sound, and another set will make the meters move in quicktime, if it's set to receive from soundflower.

Your PT mix window should be similar to this.
The sends are all post fader, which is the standard setting, and have been set to unity.

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP OUT. IT WORKED!!!! Let me know if I can help you with anything

Fantastic, mixgeneral. Glad to hear it. :)

Enjoy, and thanks.

Btw, you could send your built in mic to a compressor (key input) on the master.
That way you'd get radio style ducking when you speak.

Oh wow, you are wealth of knowledge, Paul. I didn't even think of that, therefore was thinking to measure time in between the music bed. This is fantastic. Thank you so much.

Nice, i'm not as familiar with recent works. But the vibe is there i can feel it. You have a great voice and piano sounds good too. Keep it up. Great vibe

Just thinking, I know this is banged up, but I've just realised soundflower isn't really necessary for this.

All you needed to do was set up the aggregate device and run your internal mic into a track in ProTools.

Either way will work; The soundflower one is just a little more convoluted.

Oh really, for some reason i tried it before and it wasn't picking it up. So what you just set up new aggregated device add mic and out.?

If your protools output was getting recorded before but the mic wasn't then all you'd need to do is pipe the mic through your protools session.
Thinking about it, even the aggregate isn't necessary.lol.
But hey, if it's working, it's working. :)

Back