Roland Phantom and Pro Tools interface?

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
I have a buddy of mine who may join here, I've pointed him to the site, but who just got a Roland Phantom workstation. He has Pro Tools, not sure which version, but I digress. I track to an HD24 through a board, so this is not my territory and thought I would ask you kind folks his question...in a nutshell, how can he transfer the tracks he makes on his Roland directly into Pro Tools. Is it an easy process, or no? Not being familiar with Pro Tools, but I would think you could easily import the tracks with the right interface software, but maybe I'm wrong. If so, would he need to hit "play" on his workstation tracks while recording on Pro Tools, and can the individual tracks remain separated as they were recorded on the workstation? Or is it better and easier just to track in Pro Tools?
Thanks for any input.

is he trying to transfer just audio or midi? if audio tracks, how many tracks? what digi interface? he has 4 analog outputs right?

basically he could just treat it the same way you treat it with your HD240. Patch analog out (or digital S/PDIF...but that's only two channels) into the LE unit. Create tracks, record arm them and set their inputs correctly and then record. He could then just sync up his Phantom with Pro Tools via MTC or MBC. He'll have to read the Pro Tools and Phantom manuals to figure out the settings for that.

I think he is looking for the basic of the basic to track directly, and was just a little curious about the 8 tracks in the workstation. Since I know nothing of Pro Tools, I suggested that he use the 8 tracks on the workstation to construct songs using them as scratch tracks for writing, not necessary recording, and to track regularly in Pro Tools when the song is composed.

Another question...I mix down to a 1/4" reel and then convert with a TASCAM cdrw700 which records in .wav format. On Pro Tools, what do you mix down to? Also, how do you convert Pro Tools files to .wav or mp3 to post?

Back