Recording vocals in protools

musicman23

Hello,

I am trying to record vocals using my Rode microphone. While recording I have a gain level and there is a wave. However when I listen to what I recorded on my samson speakers the volume of the vocal is extremely low while the other tracks play loudly. But the same vocal plays well in my headphones.
Also when I record through input 1 I have to turn my gain all the way up to the maximum, though when recording through input 2 I use much less gain.
My phantom power is working...
Thank you

Whoooooa man back up a sec haha, I can't quite follow what you're saying here, but let me try to re-phrase in a manner that makes things a bit more clear:

Problem 1: When you record vocals, they visually show up in Pro Tools, but when they are played back through your monitors, they are barely audible. However, when you listen on your headphones, they sound much louder.

Problem 2: When you record through the first input in your interface, you have to turn the gain way up, but when using input 2, much less gain is needed.

Do these sound about right? If so, we need to know what kind of interface you're using to answer Problem 2. Problem 1 has a few rational explanations. Most likely, the frequency response in your speakers and your headphones are very different. When this is true, you will often find that a mix that sounds good on one, will sound very different and sometimes uneven in the other. This will be true of any set of speakers, whether $50 or $50,000. To simplify things greatly, the more expensive the speaker, generally the more accurate it is.

Accurate speakers make it easier to hear every nuance of your mix, to better let you make decisions about what to adjust. HOWEVER!! Hearing everything doesn't mean you know what to change in order for your music to Translate to other listening environments (e.g. your headphones, your car, your buddy's boom box, etc.). To get your mixes to Translate, you need to learn how your monitors(speakers) sound, and learn how to mix on them to achieve the best translation. Meaning, if your monitors don't have much bass in comparison to most systems, try backing the bass off in your mix a bit so it sounds a little low in your monitors. That sorta thing.

Anyway, tell us what interface you're using so we can help with Problem 2.

I use an MBox2, which has 2 ins and outs.

I didn't record vocals for a few months. When I recorded a few months ago the vocals sounded clear. I didn't have this problem before.

As I increased the volume on the back of the Samson rubicon monitors it became a little bit better. The volume was at 9 o'clock, now it is at 12 o'clock. What is a good volume level for monitors?I also brought up the fader to +2db, which helps a little.

Thank you

I run my 1800 watt monitor amp at full on, as high as it will go then adjust levels through Pro Tools (or in my case using the monitor out level on the DIGI 001 interface).

-K

... I would assume your mic is a cardioid... Are you singing into the pattern? or Is your mic turned around?

I use nothing but cheap vocal mics; sm58's mostly and set the monitor speakers out of phase. This creates a cancelling effect and the mic doesn't hear them.

-K

thanks for your responses.

I was able to identify my problem. When I recorded my drums and synths I bounced them to disk, and created a master fader for that. The setting on my master fader was below 0. The master fader was still there when I recorded vocals, and it reduced the sound level of the vocal.

Kev7555 - the reason I keep my monitors at 9 o'clock is that if I raise the volume more the monitors start making noise. Also, what do you mean when you say "set the monitor speakers out of phase"?

I use a Rhode NT1-A microphone. Does it matter if it stands up straight or if it's tilted?
Thank you

Disconnect the speaker wires from one speaker and reverse them, hot to ground and ground to hot.

This diminishes the quality of the bass response on playback, but while recording it creates a cancelling effect. You get almost no bleed at all, even with the mic in the same room at high volume.

Back