recording WITH effects

ace516

here's something i haven't messed around with, maybe someone knows how to do it already.

I wanna record tracks with plugins on the inserts.
let me elaborate..
I tried this:
1 mono audio track
1 mono aux track

the audio track has a plugin, and the output is being sent to a bus..
the aux is receiving the audio track BUT i would like to have a track recording the audio track WITH the effect in real time.
any suggestions?

You want to record the audio from the track with the plug-in to another audio track? Thus giving you one clean track and one with the printed effect?

Before I continue, just want to confirm if that’s what you are trying to achieve

ok, i haven't done that before but I just tried it then and it worked

I had an audio track with a plugin on it, i set the output to bus 3. Then i set the input of an audio track to bus 3, and pressed record. It recorded the audio with the plugin to the second track.

tools.jpg

tried the same thing but had the plugin on an aux it worked the same

tools2.jpg

What happens when you do it?

Yeah, just route your mic to an aux track with the plugins on it, and then route the aux track into an audio track. Arm the audio track and you're good to go!

One thing to keep in mind - if you're planning on using this as a way to compress signal on the way into protools to avoid clipping... not the best choice. Even if the compressor is setup properly and lowering peaks as desired, it is AFTER the A-D conversion so you're still clipping into protools, just sending a clipped signal through a compressor!

Not sure if this was what you were planning or not, but thought I'd bring it up because I see a lot of people trying to do this.

Back