PT11/003/Mac mini help

monkeywrench92

Hey everyone,
I really want to first extend a thank you for a forum as helpful and diverse as this.

Onto my first post as a newbie:
I've read thru all the threads I can find and wasn't sure if I had possibly missed something (maybe) so here goes:

I had been using the 003 with PT 7 on a PC/external FireWire drive setup successfully for a while. When my PC (very out dated) died last year I decided instead of building another I'd really like to learn Mac.

I did as much online research as I could find and purchased a Mac mini last week, and also PT11. My plan was/is to continue using the 003 as an interface and mix control surface. I came to enjoy being able to use faders for automation and the interface sounded great I thought.

But... We all know the fw800 vs. 400 dilemma.

So the Mac mini of course came with OSX Mavericks but PT11 installed fine, and I can open and play with the program.
I just can't get the mini to see the 003 - the link light won't light up. I tried using a FW800 to 400 adapter connector as a thread here suggested to try, but the Mac mini still won't see it.

Older online forums talk about using a fw400 drive with Oxford 911, 912, or 923 chipsets to daisy chain into the 003. But with those Oxford chipset drives not being made anymore what would be my best attempt at getting the mini to see the 003?
Would something like this maybe do the trick? Or does it sound like it's jusut a glorified version of an adapter?
image.jpg

Has anyone found a way to get a mini to recognize an 003 without first going thru a fw400/800 external drive?

Guys thanks in advance for any help, I am grateful.

Last edited:
After some googling on that yin yang adapter, some good news may be on the horizon for folks in this same boat. I just found this review of the YinYang FireWire hub on B&H photo's web site. It sounds as if someone was in the same situation trying to connect an 003 to a Mac which had only fw800. Here's what he had to say:
image.jpg

It looked promising so I ordered one :guitar::guitar:
I'll post back whether it works or not when it arrives. Keeping fingers crossed!

Last edited:
But... We all know the fw800 vs. 400 dilemma.
What's that now?

So the Mac mini of course came with OSX Mavericks but PT11 installed fine, and I can open and play with the program.
I just can't get the mini to see the 003

Not being able to open the program is going to be an unrelated issue.
PT11 doesn't need digidesign/avid hardware, so if your 003 isn't present it should just open and run on built-in audio.

I treat it as two separate issues for now.
Use system profiler to check if the 003 is physically recognised,
and use audio/midi utility to see if it's ready for system use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. In Mac is system profiler similar to Control Panel on a PC? I was looking for a way to see if the mini could show a connected devices/ports list like Control Panel does...

Sorry, I completely misread above. I thought you couldn't open PT. :facepalm:

System profiler is kinda similar to device manager on PCs, yeah.
It lists all the connected hardware for you to see.

Unlike windows, OSX wont be waving flags at you to tell you drivers are missing.
That's why I'd check Audio/Midi setup too.

What's your intended setup? Just mac mini straight to 003, or are you trying to have a HDD in the middle?
I just remembered I've used a digi003 with my macbook pro (fw800), so it's definitely compatible.

Back