PT10 vs HD

paw1

A few quick questions as I'm on the hunt for a new DAW and need some info on Pro Tools 10.

What are the main differences between Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools 10 HD? For example I know that the non-HD version has fewer tracks available, but I'm not sure of how many.

Also, I read about PT9 somewhere, and it said something like that there were no differences between the PT9-version and the PT9HD-version, which has made me more confused, as it would be too good to be true.

How can I upgrade from 10 to HD?

Too good to be true, yeah.

One difference I'm aware of in PT9 is that delay compensation is limited.

I can't remember the numbers, but i think the maximum delay was 4096 samples or something, and i have plugins which introduce more than that, which pretty much means i don't have ADC.

This might not even be relevant to PT10, I'm not sure, but still.

Does HD still use processing cards? If they do then the old argument for it still alive. If your pc isn't especially capable, you'll be limited in what plugs you can use simultaneously.

Thank you for the reply Steenamaroo. So what you're saying is that the non-HD versions may have latency issues with certain plug-ins? What does ACD mean?

Would anybody help point out more differences between the systems?

-paw

So what you're saying is that the non-HD versions may have latency issues with certain plug-ins? What does ACD mean?
Yes and no, Well, sortof.
Not really :p

ADC is automatic delay compensation.

imagine you have 8 tracks of drums.
You send em all to a dry bus, and also to a compressor bus.

Your comp bus introduces 64 ms of 'calculating time' delay whereas the dry doesn't.

When the two are played together without ADC they part cancel and sound messy and stuff.

They are completely different animals, HD is PRO and hardware based and incredibly expensive. Some here would argue that PT9 is PRO but it is more consumer than HD, I would say if you need to ask this question get Reaper its cheap and does what it says on the tin.

What are the main differences between Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools 10 HD? For example I know that the non-HD version has fewer tracks available, but I'm not sure of how many.

Here's the comparison chart at Avid Compare

Unless you are anticipating very large projects PT 10 should be fine.

How can I upgrade from 10 to HD?

With a very large wallet. ;) You need different hardware, possibly including a better computer. You need these dedicated card gizmos Pro Tools HD

Chris

Back