Pt routing ( want to use mixer)

RFR

I've looked 8 pgs deep on this forum and watched lots of PT videos, so im not being lazy.

I cant figure it out. I want to assign tracks to 8 or 16 interface inputs which would then b converted to analog outs to my hardware mixer.
Anyone know and is willing to share?

Thanks much. Only been playing with Pt for a couple of days.

Yup. Assign the PT tracks to the interface individual outputs to console. Sorry, worded it wrong in the first post. Assigning everything to 1&2 fir monitoring is easy. But the other? Annoying? Understatement:D

Seems like there are 500 i/o windows to deal with. Lol

I don't use PT enough to tell you by memory, but if I had it in front of me I'd be able to figure it out. You use the little drop down list under I/O and select a bus/hardware output. But you have to set up your main I/O menu properly. It's versatile but ungainly.

Thanks, I'm gonna study it a bunch before i screw anything up. Hey, for me its all a learning curve. 2 new interfaces, 2 new daws and a new computer. Never used a daw since my commodore 64. That mess I threw off the porch. :D In disgust I might add.

Its driving me nuts, and analog is so easy, I miss it already. But I'm determined to learn this new world.
:D

PT I/O is very well laid out and very easy to understand.
Sure, it's not an exact replica of the mixer you (whoever) used to use but it makes sense and works.

Protools mix window has track inputs and outputs below sends/inserts.
Unless, for some reason, your interface IO isn't being recognised, it should be two clicks per track.

pt.JPG

If your I/O isn't available in the list as shown, go to Setup>IO>input tab
Select all paths and delete. Now hit default.

Repeat for output tab.

Of course yours will be different to mine unless you happen to have the same interface as me.

If that doesn't work, your hardware may not have the IO you think it has.
What are you using?

It's the I/O tabs the generally screw things up. Yes, delete all paths and click default. Sometimes you have to trash preferences. It's like having a seldom if ever used patch bay between your hardware inputs/outputs and PT's inputs/outputs that sometimes randomly rewires itself.

I use mine regularly and it never rewires itself so it's strokes for folks and maybe user error?
Hard to say.

In a busy project studio with multiple engineers it was a recurring problem. Whether it was user error or poor design is a matter of perspective. All the time I spent in the I/O tabs was trying to fix things that didn't work, never for anything good like a clever routing trick. When it worked it was irrelevant, when it didn't it was a session killer.

Sure, it's not an exact replica of the mixer you (whoever) used to use but it makes sense and works.

Protools mix window has track inputs and outputs below sends/inserts.
Unless, for some reason, your interface IO isn't being recognised, it should be two clicks per track.

View attachment 96444

If your I/O isn't available in the list as shown, go to Setup>IO>input tab
Select all paths and delete. Now hit default.

Repeat for output tab.

Of course yours will be different to mine unless you happen to have the same interface as me.

If that doesn't work, your hardware may not have the IO you think it has.
What are you using?
Well it is pretty easy to understand, at least the basics. I was recording 5 minutes after setup. Just test recording. But still.

Anyway,
Interface is a focusrite Saffire pro40.
8 analog ins/outs (currently up and running.)

Also have an A&H Ice 16
16 analog I/o expandable to 32 which I have the hardware mixing capability to facilitate.
(Not currently hooked up to PT. Just used as a standalone i/o for converting tape tracks to digital in one shot.)

I have a session in pt of a live rehearsal .

Voc track (stereo)
Guitar (stereo)
Bass (mono)
Drums (mono)
Drums (stereo)

I want these tracks into my hardware mixer as 8 individual mono tracks

I'm a bit confused because I have two places to do the routing. PT itself, AND, the focusrite has a i/o routing mixer.

Hey, Steen. Thanks for responding.

Well it is pretty easy to understand, at least the basics. I was recording 5 minutes after setup. Just test recording. But still.

Anyway,
Interface is a focusrite Saffire pro40.
8 analog ins/outs (currently up and running.)

Also have an A&H Ice 16
16 analog I/o expandable to 32 which I have the hardware mixing capability to facilitate.
(Not currently hooked up to PT. Just used as a standalone i/o for converting tape tracks to digital in one shot.)

I have a session in pt of a live rehearsal .

Voc track (stereo)
Guitar (stereo)
Bass (mono)
Drums (mono)
Drums (stereo)

I want these tracks into my hardware mixer as 8 individual mono tracks

I'm a bit confused because I have two places to do the routing. PT itself, AND, the focusrite has a i/o routing mixer.

Hey, Steen. Thanks for responding.

Sounds easy enough man.
Forgetting your hardware mixer, you simply want 8 line outputs from Protools.

So set the outputs as follows
Vox - 1+2
guitars - 3+4
bass 5
drums mono 6
drums 7+8.

Take the 8 patch cables into your mixer and remember to pan 1+2,3+4 and 7+8 hard left and right.

Seems like it should be, right?:D
Its a new day. Ill play around with it.

Thanks for the help. Maybe sometime soon, I'll be one of those that answers questions rather than just asks them. :D

Ummm, no it's not. :D

In the i/o (set up menue) default is stereo tracks. Once set to default thats all I get. Usless.

Above the mixer section in the I/O all that is available is the same. Stereo tracks.

What is this daw obsession with stereo tracks???????

Lets say you have a guitar amped. One 58 on the cab. Mono. One room mic. Mono

Seperate channels that you can pan and process each anyway you want. Yes, combine and pan them and you have stereo. But they ARE mono tracks initially.

For example in this tune I'm working on there are only 3 mics. Two overheads and one on the kick.

The stereo OH track is unbalanced. On one side I'm getting heavy ride cymbal and toms.

With a pt "stereo track" that imbalance is tougher to fix.

Oh well, I'll keep on studying and learning this new world.
So far i hate it. :D

Edit in the setups> I/O section, I did find you could open via the plus/minus sign on the left, mono tracks. But still it's confusing.
But then again, my smartphone confuses me. Lol

Ummm, no it's not. :D

In the i/o (set up menue) default is stereo tracks. Once set to default thats all I get. Usless.

They're not tracks, they're paths. Whether they're listed in pairs, fours or eights is irrelevant. They're there.

Above the mixer section in the I/O all that is available is the same. Stereo tracks.

I posted a picture of the I/O paths showing each individual output as selectable. If you don't see the same thing then there's something wrong at your end.

Back