PT offerings is a bit confusing

junplugged

Taking the slow road
they seem to sell different versions of PT software with their different hardware vairiants.

correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like:

currently it's a tiny 2 in 2 out thing called a fast-track that has SE that was LE, and now Express?

and same for the nex fast track with 2 x 2 but with 2 xlr mic pres?

and next is mbox and then 11 rack, but also don't use the full PT software,

then there's the HD stuff and that uses PT 11 HD

and I'm guessing if you want PT 11, it won't work with the other interfaces?

but if you buy the PT 11 alone, you can use it with some 3rd party interfaces?

or I can get any converters and any other DAW and use ASIO and do what I want?...

Avid/Digidesign used to have a hardware tie for all of their software, but they recently broke that link for their 'mid' range.

• HD is HD. You need HD hardware for it.
  • 'Standard' ProTools is the one everyone seems to have. You can use pretty much any interface you like with that.
  • Le no longer exists.
  • SE is a very watered down version with limited number of tracks, buses, simultaneous IO etc.
  • Mpowered I think still exists. I believe it's limited, but not crippled like SE. It works with a limited range of Maudio interfaces.

I guess their hardware range is slightly limited.
The always had HD at the top end and a range of mboxs at the bottom, but they used to have the 002/003 to bridge the gap.
I believe they're gone now; Presumably that's because you'd have to be mental to spend the cash on a 003 rack when you can just get a presonus/motu/tascam/whatever.

I used to have a digi003 with PT8. As soon as someone leaked that AVID were dropping the hardware tie, I sold my 003 (before prices plumetted) and bought a motu 828 mk2 and PT9.
I've been using that interface with 9, 10 and now 11.

Hope that's useful.

I use PT 9 and have thought about the upgrade to PT 11, but the upgrade price is essentially $400. Very pricy for an upgrade.

Yeah, it's pretty overwhelming. Enough to make me switch to reaper, based on what I've been hearing. Anyway, it's a real study to just step into the world PT these days. As far as interfaces go, you have to consider a / d conversion, sample rate capabilities, number of inputs, mic pres, etc. I'm digging the options that the whole range of new focusrite saffire interfaces offer. They don't come bundled with PT, but they do come in a variety of price ranges and are really extendable

It's horses for courses, really.
Personally I find PT intuitive; I've always just 'got' it, whereas I find reaper's workflow difficult to get on with.
I know plenty of people around here love it, all the same. I think it's just what you know.

I do agree though, PT is expensive. I bought into it for compatibility with local studios and college years ago, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

I was running 002 rack with PT8, I just upgraded to a brand new Mac Book that's non firewire, I have to upgrade PT and cross my fingers for compatible drivers for my 002 and Mavericks, the upgrade to 9,10 or 11 is $399, I have a ton of RTAS plugins that aren't compatible with 11. Its funny how you treat the people that were dedicated to your product back when the hardware had to match. I'm looking for a different platform. If I have to buy new PT software and probably new third party hardware anyways...Thanks Avid

I was running 002 rack with PT8, I just upgraded to a brand new Mac Book that's non firewire, I have to upgrade PT and cross my fingers for compatible drivers for my 002 and Mavericks, the upgrade to 9,10 or 11 is $399, I have a ton of RTAS plugins that aren't compatible with 11. Its funny how you treat the people that were dedicated to your product back when the hardware had to match. I'm looking for a different platform. If I have to buy new PT software and probably new third party hardware anyways...Thanks Avid

I'd do the research on those 002 drivers. I would not be surprised if they don't exist for Mavericks.
You say the new macbook pro is non firewire.....Are you aware that thunderbolt has a firewire bus? You just need a $2 adapter.

The PT11 plugin support thing is, indeed, annoying, but most manufacturers have caught up and some even offered the AAX update for free.
I believe AVID still hand out free PT10 licenses to all 11 users to cover the transition.

Why do you have to upgrade?
I'd just stick with what works. Surely your new MBP will take Snow leopard at PT8?

Back