PT Best Software?

guitargirl7

I'm in need of some new software, and possibly hardware. So far I have no idea what to purchase. I was using PTSE which turned out to be a horrible mess due to on-going issues that are popular with the product. In my new search, I found this PTLE software with mbox 3 that I was thinking of purchasing at best buy:
Avid - M-Audio Mbox 3 High-Performance Personal Studio Production System - Mbox 3 ProTools LE mbox&cp=1&lp=2

Besides PTSE, I'm pretty new to software in general. With that being said, I'm willing to learn anything that is thrown at me with recording.

My main question is would the best buy purchase be smart, or should I look into different software/hardware? Is pro tools the best product to look into?

Extra info:
- I would be using an sm57 mic
- recording vocals and guitars
- professional musician
- Toshiba laptop x64

Thank you!

As a protools user I'll say it's great and it does everything I need perfectly, but......

It's not the 'best software' unless you have some particular reason why it's the best, like perhaps you're familiar with it, or all your music friends or colleagues use it.

If you're starting at the start and have no real ties to anything, I'd definitely shop around.

Like I say, It's great, but if I was starting again I'd learn a DAW that has proper ADC and isn't tied to an ilok, for a start.
That may just be me, but there you have it! :)

As a protools user I'll say it's great and it does everything I need perfectly, but......

It's not the 'best software' unless you have some particular reason why it's the best, like perhaps you're familiar with it, or all your music friends or colleagues use it.

If you're starting at the start and have no real ties to anything, I'd definitely shop around.

Like I say, It's great, but if I was starting again I'd learn a DAW that has proper ADC and isn't tied to an ilok, for a start.

Didn't PT 10 get rid of that hassle?

Anyway, what Steen said. It's all about workflow. I switched from Cubase to Reason 6. I love it!

Just googled to be sure. They multiplied the ADC length by 4 which, in fairness, solves the problem for me.
They still use ilok though, and IMO there's no excuse for that now.

Didn't PT 10 get rid of that hassle?

Anyway, what Steen said. It's all about workflow. I switched from Cubase to Reason 6. I love it!

So based on my situation, having a PC, what would you both suggest I purchase as new software and equipment to plug my mic/guitar into? I honestly have been searching for weeks, and can't find a single software/gear that doesn't have a ton of people saying it's no good. I have a $100 (may soon be around $200 due to returning fast track) gift card for best buy to put towards it, so I'd have to purchase the software/equipment there. I was going to save up to purchase PT10, but I haven't gotten a good answer from anyone as to if it is worth purchasing, given the $600 price. All in all, I really don't want another piece of crap again that I'm going to end up wasting money on. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks for the input!

Well, if that's the kind of feedback you're getting, the best bet is to just try out demos from the cheapest to the dearest.

Maybe start with reaper?

I've used PT7.4LE/8LE/9/10, Sony Vegas, an ancient version of Logic, Cool Edit Pro, Reaper, Audacity and probably some others I can't recall. I would recommend Reaper as it does pretty much everything you'll need and it's affordable.

Back