PT 8 and tascam us 1800

Sluggo4242

My searches in here indicated that the Tascam US-1800 is NOT going to work on my PT8 system. Is that true?

I was told by the tech at musicians friend that if I have my mBox2 plugged into one of the USB connections, and then plug the US-1800 USB cable into another one of the USB ports in my "Creation Station" (Tower style PC with XP) that I would be able to find the tascam interface in the set-up menu...

It's supposed to show up tomorrow, but if I get positive answer that it simply is NOT going to work, I would be better off returning the Tascam unopened..

I really did search, and yes, I'm retty much a newbie in here.

Thanks in advance..., '

Doug

All versions of Pro Tools before 9 required factory approved interface hardware from Digidesign or a partner like M-Audio.

BSG is right. It won't work.

If your mbox 2 was never registered, then doing so now would entitle you to free software upgrades. ;)

big enough? In what way?

I haven't looked it up, but I can't imagine there's too much difference between the two.

I forget exactly what it was, like the processor wasn't good enough, and the RAM wasn't enough either... My creation station is about 7 years old, so the whole shooting match is old... I think the 8.3 is the max it can handle....

I think there is some form of Cubase that comes with it, maybe I just install a new , different system...??
A whole new computer system would be a little expensive I think...

Show and tell time. :)

What are your specs? Who told you it was a good idea to buy a non compliant interface for ProTools 8?

The interface will come with Cubase LE5 or maybe LE6 by now. Many limited functions, but it may not be limiting to you.

Show and tell time again, what are your goals as far as recording? :)

Oh yeah, It's 4:14 AM here. I'm the freak. Couldn't sleep. Good to know you are around though. Now I feel safe. :)

Ooooh, you are a freak. :p

ok, the unit I have I bought from a friend about two years ago when he bought a whole new Creation Station from Musicians Friend, because he wanted to upgrade to PT9.

I have another "friend" who had a copy of 9 they were going to let me "borrow" just to try out on my machine, only to see if it worked is all...;) Then I was going to buy my own, thats the whole truth. Anyways, when I tried to install, the computer put up a message that it was unable to load due to the computer not being able to handle it. I'm not at it this second, but later on this morning I'll get some "stats?

So, it was one of the tech guys at musicians friend who told me that the PT 8 into one USP port would "see" the Tascam that I plugged into a different USB port. I honestly can't remember the guys name, and perhaps even if I did, not sure that I would call him out publicly as it were anyways...

MY stats:
I am a drummer who has been playing with home recording for years in a very un-educated fashion, from way back with little reel to reels, 4-track reel to reels, early digital recorders, I am currently trying to sell my AW1600 Yammi on ebay. I can hack my way on guitar, bass, keys, and vox enuf to make some crude recordings that I personally enjoy, and if I twist my wifes arm hard enough, she will say it's OK too. I have recorded my full band on 8 tracks wit the aw1600, but I want to record about 13-14 tracks to get everything to a really mixable point. So that's why I'm wanting a bigger interface.

I am no expert by any means, and constantly need to refer to the PT book on how to do things like fades and punching etc... I only fiddle with the thing for a few hours a week. But I'm retired now and have a little more time to mess with stuff.

I think if the included software of Cubase is vaguely similar to PT, I could probably figure it out?? I'm not married to PT, but it is all my very limited experience has worked with to date. I just can't afford a new system right now....
But on that note, I'm seeing new computers on FRY"S ads for around $800. They are like i5 processers, two tera-gigs, 8-12 gigs of RAM. Would something likw that be a smart system to use with PT10 or something?

Again, I am totally ignorant in the field, so I really have no clue if PT is best, or Cubse, Sonar, etc... And, like I said, I'm not married to any of them. I don't need a system that sets the industry on fire, just something perhaps more just for personal fun, maybe to make a decent demo CD for my band...

Thanks again for the thoughts guys..

Doug

If you're not married to PT, I would definitely consider cubase, especially if it comes with your interface.
If it doesn't take a serious look at reaper.

There are much better, or at least equal alternatives to Pro Tools these days. :)

PT 8 and tascam us

Hey all, just bought a xr1212 to replace my xr696f, i wanted to play around with the vocal effects/modeling with the tascam. Never used something like this before, always just used the built in effects. Does anyone know how i would hook this up. Will it apply to all channels or just specific channels?

Thanks in advance

Hey all, just bought a xr1212 to replace my xr696f, i wanted to play around with the vocal effects/modeling with the tascam. Never used something like this before, always just used the built in effects. Does anyone know how i would hook this up. Will it apply to all channels or just specific channels?

Thanks in advance

Best to post a new thread in the noob forum. Jacking a 3 week old thread that has nothing to do with your question, will likely get you a reprimand such as this. Read the stickys and search the site before posting please. :)

Back