PT 6.4 More audio tracks than available voices

BGT

I imported 24 audio files from a logic pro 9 session. This prompt popped up when I finished importing the files; "There are more audio tracks than available voices. As a result, one or more audio tracks will not play." Eight of the twenty four tracks will play; the rest are there but greyed out. The reference guide on Virtual Tracks, voices and Track Priority talks about the IO's voices tab. When I click that tab I only get "off" or "dyn".
a little help please.

Ok, maybe I was a bit unclear on the problem I'm having. I'm using PT 6.4 with Digi 001. I want to import audio files from Logic Pro 9; infact, I did that, however, the PT session tells me that I have more tracks than available voices. In the PT mix window the IO's "Voices" tab only shows me two options when I click it. "off" or "dyn"

Every Protools version has a limit to how many active 'voices' you can have.
I say voices because auxiliary tracks and instrument tracks don't count; It's just tracks that contain audio.
PT allowing you 16 seems very low, but I'm not up to speed on V6.4 specs, so maybe that's right.
Dyn means a voice is on, off means off.

You can consolidate to an extent because a stereo track counts as one, but two mono tracks count as two, so if you recorded something onto two mono tracks, consolidate them down to stereo. That'll save you some tracks.

Other than that, the only way to cut down is to bounce groups of tracks down to Stereo.

Maybe you could bounce the drums down to stereo and save yourself a number of tracks.
You can always keep the originals (temporarily disable the tracks) so that you can go back in the event of a problem.

Basically, you're going to have to delete stuff, change your daw, or learn to juggle.

Personally, I'd google reaper to find out if it has a limit. If not, I'd jump ship, for this session at least.

Last edited:
Back