Pt 11 ram

johnd5412

Hi all,

First post and but not a recording newbie. Quick question for your if you can help out.

I recently purchased PT 11 non-HD and it is running on 64 bit windows 8.1. I have 24 Gig RAM.

I'm curious if PT is using all 24 gigs of RAM or is it limited to only 8 gigs as shown in the activity meters?

Thanks in advance.

John

I don't know, but I found this vague reference on pro-tools-expert.

"Memory maxing out - If you are running Pro Tools 10 and below then you can increase your computer RAM memory but remember as it is a 32 bit application then anything over and above 3GB can’t be accessed by Pro Tools and so won’t help Pro Tools - it may help take pressure off for other system resources outside of Pro Tools.
If you are running Pro Tools 11 then put as much memory as you can into your computer."

I'd guess that PT11, being 64 bit, can address whatever you've got.
Run the biggest heftiest session you've got and watch your system usage monitors to see what happens.

Thanks for the info. At 1024 it does get bogged down with a heavy session which only had 5 tracks but loaded with 18 plug ins total. I was hoping for better performance but it looks like I would have to upgrade to 11 HD if I want to access more computer RAM. Kind of a bummer if that is true.

Wow. No, that's definitely not good performance.
What kind of processor and hard drive do you have? I guess it's something decent on a board that takes 24gb ram.
It sounds, to me, like something is wrong.

I'm on a lower end i5 2.5ghz and can happily work away at 128/256 with maybe 30 tracks and 3-4 plugs on each.
I use elastic audio and waves tune a lot. They're pretty intensive.

It should use more than 4 up to what you have, so long as your session has NO RTAS plugs, because then, even though you have PT10, your session will revert back to PT10, because it co-installs both. If your meters show 8GB, is that just for PT, or also your operating system and PT is actually using 4?

Wow. No, that's definitely not good performance.
What kind of processor and hard drive do you have? I guess it's something decent on a board that takes 24gb ram.
It sounds, to me, like something is wrong.

I'm on a lower end i5 2.5ghz and can happily work away at 128/256 with maybe 30 tracks and 3-4 plugs on each.
I use elastic audio and waves tune a lot. They're pretty intensive.

I have an i7 3.4ghz; since I started using bass rider and vocal rider I believe that is what is eating up cpu power. regardless, I just expected more from under the hood.

The hard drive may be it....I run my music of an external that is at 90% capacity full. Would that be eating my cpu up?

I just expected more from under the hood.

Seriously, you're notting getting close to the limits of your machine. An old pentium 4 would do better than you describe.

Is the HDD running through a hub, or on a slow USB port?
I know AVID recommend running sessions from an external, but copy it to your system drive and see how it performs from there.

Back