ProTools for Mastering?

Sydney

Hi,

I'm a little confused. Although I have ProTools 12, people are telling me that I should mix in ProTools, but do my Mastering with different software.

Now if this is true, I have TONS of questions, but maybe I can get started with..... what software should I use to for Mastering after I've mixed in ProTools?

Thanks!

Hi,
There's no real reason not to use ProTools although better tailored (and more expensive) suites exist.

Usually what people say, or mean, is don't do the mastering IN your mixing session.
That is, mix the song, be happy with it, bounce it, then master in a fresh session.

That keeps the two tasks separate and eliminates the urge to mix with unnecessary plugs on the master bus.

Hope that helps. :)

Mastering for what format? If CD, the standard delivery formats are cue/bin (old) and DDP 2.0 (new). If mastering for internet, are you delivering .wav files and letting someone else (or a website) convert to a compressed format or do you have to deliver in one or more compressed formats? The answers to those questions will determine what kind of software you need.

Mastering for what format? If CD, the standard delivery formats are cue/bin (old) and DDP 2.0 (new). If mastering for internet, are you delivering .wav files and letting someone else (or a website) convert to a compressed format or do you have to deliver in one or more compressed formats? The answers to those questions will determine what kind of software you need.

Thanks guys for the info. I don't really have a format preference or need, so I guess DDP 2.0 would work, and I just need to make a wav or mp3 file.

Besides ProTools, any recommendations on good software for mastering? I'd be willing to spend some money for something good, and user friendly. Although now I'm worried that I'm going to have to actually learn how to master (I'm still learning how to mix)

Hi,
There's no real reason not to use ProTools although better tailored (and more expensive) suites exist.

Usually what people say, or mean, is don't do the mastering IN your mixing session.
That is, mix the song, be happy with it, bounce it, then master in a fresh session.

That keeps the two tasks separate and eliminates the urge to mix with unnecessary plugs on the master bus.

Hope that helps. :)

Hi Steenamaro,

I'm really interested in how you mentioned about "eliminating the urge to mix with unnecessary plugs on the master bus". Does that mean that most of the effects are done when mastering? Still trying to figure this all out (and yes, my next stop is going to be the mastering forum...)

Hi Steenamaro,

I'm really interested in how you mentioned about "eliminating the urge to mix with unnecessary plugs on the master bus". Does that mean that most of the effects are done when mastering? Still trying to figure this all out (and yes, my next stop is going to be the mastering forum...)

I don't mean to jump in on your question for Steen, but I will say that mastering is not necessarily based on using more plugs at the mastering stage. What is needed at the mastering stage is dependent upon what the recording needs at that point.

Steen was likely saying that using the plugs that may be used in mastering-on your master output bus while mixing is not the best option.

And I am one that uses a limiter on my master out while tracking. Most say not to do so. But I also have my own style and reasons for doing it.

Things change when actually 'mastering' any group of recordings. There is no 'right' way. A shit ton of wrong ways seem prominent tho...

Hey guys,

So, predictably enough the OP wasn't talking about bins and cues. :p

Yeah, Jimmy's summarised what I mean. Cheers buddy. :)

It's a bad, and easy, habit to get into mixing with master compressors/limiters/eqs turned on.
There should be nothing on your master bus while you're mixing, unless some obscure master effect is actually part of your mix, or you have some particular reason for doing it.

Back