Protools LE 7.1 simple question

magnetic

I bought a Digidesign Rack + Protools LE 7.1,second hand. I am very new to PC based recording. I used Cakewalk MC3 before that. My needs are simple. I,m using the above basicly as a replacement for an 8 track R2R. I,ve looked at this sites FAQ and other Utube tutorials. But cant find answers to my Q.

When recording,after the cursor reaches the end of the first "page"/first section of bars,the page doesnt go on and follow my playing. It stays on the first "page" How do I get the cursor/page to follow my playing? I play and engineer at the same time. I find the visual sine/level helpfull as a rough guide, so I can get a "feel" of the sound levels. Watching meters isnt condusive to creativity.

I,m also unsure what DYN means in the track window. As you can see,I'm unfamiliar with the correct terms for the various functions

I've come to DAW/PC based recording very late in life (60) and struggling as a consequence. Is there a Protools for Dummy's guide that you know of,as well as adice on my problem. Cheers. A.

Last edited:
Hi there.
To solve your scrolling issue, you need to go to options -> edit window scrolling.

There are three options. I believe they are smooth scrolling, page by page scrolling, and off.

Dyn pretty much just means on.

If your software is limited to 32 tracks and you create 34, two of them will say off instead of dyn.
Those two wont be audible.

You can turn tracks off to save resources or whatever, but honestly, I've never had cause to use it.

Thanks for your advice. I followed it and have solved the problem. I'm sure I'll have a few more queries over time : its good to know theres someone out there to help. Thanks again,A

Back