Is ProTools Free available anywhere?

bremerr

I know this program is not available on the Digidesign site, and I've done a couple google searches with no luck. Does anyone know if this program is available anywhere else on the web? Or does someone have it downloaded that they can email? I'm looking for the Windows 98 version. Thanks!

I know this program is not available on the Digidesign site, and I've done a couple google searches with no luck. Does anyone know if this program is available anywhere else on the web? Or does someone have it downloaded that they can email? I'm looking for the Windows 98 version. Thanks!

The files are way to big to email.....

If you really insist on having this, PM me with your address and I will burn you a CD. I have all of the original files around here somewhere for the Win98 and the Mac OS9 versions.

I have to warn you, the Win98 version is really picky about what PCs it will and won't work with and it only has one level of undo. No reverb. Limited to 8 tracks and you are working with PT 5.0 here. There is no cross platform compatibility, so if you record in Win, the only way to transfer the session to a Mac running PT would be to export the wav files individually.

That said, I actually did get it to work pretty well on a Dell Laptop. But it was glitchy and kind of unreliable, hornery about which soundcards it would work with. You may well end up spending more time troubleshooting than recording. You may want to look at a free alternative like Audacity.

Bill

I have it for Win 98. If you have broadband Internet I could send you a copy and it wouldn't be that bad time wise. Send me a PM. It's ok to dink around with... not that bad really.

:)

Three responses and zero help. Thanks, guys!

Have some manners, the sarcasm wasn't necessary. We are volunteering our assistance and it would benefit you to help yourself a little. I was asking what you googled, no I didn't click on the links, you said you searched and had no luck.

If you had of gone a few more clicks down on that google search your answer was staring you in the face.

http://archive.digidesign.com/ptfree/

"Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS 9 and Windows 98/Me — Discontinued

Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS 9 and Windows 98/Me are no longer available for download or on CD.

There are no current plans for a standalone version or a free version of Pro Tools for either Mac OSX or Windows XP.

When Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS9 and Windows 98/Me was released years ago, it was originally meant to be a temporary demonstration tool for Pro Tools. At that time, there were no portable (USB or FireWire) Digidesign interfaces, only Pro Tools systems that used PCI hardware. Since that time, Digidesign has introduced the Mbox, Mbox 2, Digi 002, and Digi 002 Rack interfaces, as well as Pro Tools M-Powered software, which supports many M-Audio portable interfaces.

Pro Tools HD or Pro Tools LE software for Mac OS X and Windows XP is included with all Pro Tools hardware systems. Pro Tools M-Powered software can be purchased and used with any supported M-Audio audio interface."

Have some manners, the sarcasm wasn't necessary. We are volunteering our assistance and it would benefit you to help yourself a little. I was asking what you googled, no I didn't click on the links, you said you searched and had no luck.

If you had of gone a few more clicks down on that google search your answer was staring you in the face.

http://archive.digidesign.com/ptfree/

"Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS 9 and Windows 98/Me — Discontinued

Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS 9 and Windows 98/Me are no longer available for download or on CD.

There are no current plans for a standalone version or a free version of Pro Tools for either Mac OSX or Windows XP.

When Pro Tools FREE for Mac OS9 and Windows 98/Me was released years ago, it was originally meant to be a temporary demonstration tool for Pro Tools. At that time, there were no portable (USB or FireWire) Digidesign interfaces, only Pro Tools systems that used PCI hardware. Since that time, Digidesign has introduced the Mbox, Mbox 2, Digi 002, and Digi 002 Rack interfaces, as well as Pro Tools M-Powered software, which supports many M-Audio portable interfaces.

Pro Tools HD or Pro Tools LE software for Mac OS X and Windows XP is included with all Pro Tools hardware systems. Pro Tools M-Powered software can be purchased and used with any supported M-Audio audio interface."

I did read that and that's why I said that "I know this program is not available on the Digidesign site," in my original post.

Back