Protools 8 freezes when I try to record

SinkablePaper

Hello,

I am running Protools 8 on a brand new Dell Studio XPS. Sometimes when I try to record a track, the program will freeze for a minute or two, then start working again. It happens after I have pressed record, then hit the play button to start. If I try to close Protools while it is waiting, my computer crashes. I'm pretty sure it's not a processor issue or anything, as it is a brand new PC and it doesn't even freeze every time I try to record. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I get a delay like that but it's never a minute or two, It's only ever a few seconds. If I hit record, then wait two seconds, then hit play, it doesn't happen.

We're probably not having the same problem but that's all I know.

Sometimes I get a delay like that but it's never a minute or two, It's only ever a few seconds. If I hit record, then wait two seconds, then hit play, it doesn't happen.

We're probably not having the same problem but that's all I know.

I get the same thing as him. More of a delay. Sometimes it's when it's auto saving. Or processing something I believe. But if it's Judy s few second delay, it's normal. Unless it literally freezes and then won't do anything for more than maybe 10 sec.

Hello,

I am running Protools 8 on a brand new Dell Studio XPS. Sometimes when I try to record a track, the program will freeze for a minute or two, then start working again. It happens after I have pressed record, then hit the play button to start. If I try to close Protools while it is waiting, my computer crashes. I'm pretty sure it's not a processor issue or anything, as it is a brand new PC and it doesn't even freeze every time I try to record. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i had the same issue and contacted pro tools months ago, and they told me i had to have my wireless internet turned off, and also disable and virus protection programs, not sure if this would help but its a start.

I figured out what it is. The files were saved to an external hard drive, rather than on my computer. When I save files to the C drive, it doesn't happen. Thanks!

Is it a USB drive? I'm pretty sure Digi/Avid only supports firewire external drives, and the RPM must be at least 7200.

A guy walks into the doctor's office.

Patient: "Hey, Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "DON'T DO THAT!"

Same Problem

I am having the same problem with Pro Tools 8, except mine won't unfreeze, and when it actually does, it won't capture the audio. I've been using this system for years, and I have never had this problem; although, I did just have to reinstall PT onto my system. So it's like it's brand new.

I've tried recording to the my external sea gate hard drive and recording to the C: drive. Neither option worked at all. I'm running a PC with Windows 7. Can anybody help me?

Back