ProTool 8.0.5 Recoding Audio Problems

Sydney

Hello,

I record an audio track - it shows the audio wavelength on the track from the recording, but I can't hear it when I'm recording, and I can't hear the playback. Plus, protools only seems to recognize the track when I solo it (it doesn't recognize it when other tracks are playing). Weird stuff. Lots of issues. Is there an audio recording tutorial somewhere??

Bonus problem: (even though I can't hear the audio) - I can tell that the vocals are not recording in stereo, even though that's what I have it set too. I'm using that Digirack that goes with ProTools 8.0.5, and I have it plugged in with a usual vocal mic with xlr. Is that not supposed to be set to stereo?

Thanks,

Hello,

I record an audio track - it shows the audio wavelength on the track from the recording, but I can't hear it when I'm recording, and I can't hear the playback. Plus, protools only seems to recognize the track when I solo it (it doesn't recognize it when other tracks are playing). Weird stuff. Lots of issues. Is there an audio recording tutorial somewhere??

Hi Sydney.
I know it sounds evasive, but maybe you could look up PT 101 tutorials on youtube, or something?
Of course, there's always the manual.....:facepalm:

Seriously though, it might help to watch a how-to and, if not, maybe you can give us some screen shots or more detailed info?

What does 'recognise' mean in this context? Are you saying you can hear the track when it's in solo?
That would usually suggest that some other track is, or tracks are, also in solo.

Bonus problem: (even though I can't hear the audio) - I can tell that the vocals are not recording in stereo, even though that's what I have it set too. I'm using that Digirack that goes with ProTools 8.0.5, and I have it plugged in with a usual vocal mic with xlr. Is that not supposed to be set to stereo?

Thanks,

One voice into one mic into one input is a mono chain, start to finish. You should record your vocal to a mono track.
Now, if you want to use stereo effects (like stereo reverbs, delays, choruses, etc) that's fine and Protools will accommodate you by automatically making the track output stereo, but you should begin with a single mono channel and work from there.

If you were to recording something in stereo, like a piano, acoustic guitar or choir, you'd use two microphones into two inputs into two PT tracks (or one stereo PT tracks), but you wouldn't do that for single vocals, see?

Hope that helps.

Hi Steenamaroo,

Yes, that helps! I didn't realize that voice should be a mono track. I'll try to check out some youtube tutorials in regards to not being able to hear the recorded audio.

Thanks again,

Hi Steenamaroo,

Yes, that helps! I didn't realize that voice should be a mono track. I'll try to check out some youtube tutorials in regards to not being able to hear the recorded audio.

Thanks again,

Cool. I'd be glad to help if you can give me something specific.
Gime a shout if you're stuck. :)

Back