Pro Tools will not record

Bizzy

I am not new to Pro Tools, but I am new to this forum. With that said, I have installed Pro Tools on many different PC's and Mac's with no issues. I have recently installed Pro Tools version 8.0.1 and I am unable to record audio tracks. By that I mean I record enable an audio track, begin to record and no audio is captured. The color bar scrolls and everything looks fine other than this.
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Dell Latitude E6500 laptop
Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo
Pro Tools Version 8.0.1
Mbox 2
I/O correct
Input audio track correct
Cable connections correct
Hard drive set to record
No errors, simply won't capture audio... Also will not playback audio when imported to track
Please any feedback would be helpful, thanks.

Hmm. Interesting.

When you record arm a track, does protools allow you to input monitor? Do you hear the signal and see the meters move?
(you may have to enable this option).

First thing is to ensure that all software and all drivers are up to date.
I don't imagine PT 8.0.1 is the up to date version, so take a look on avid.com for updates.

Thanks for your quick response. I do not hear/see any input from Pro Tools while record enabled or actually recording. I am unsure of where to verify that input monitoring is selected as Pro Tools always has this option selected after initial installation. This makes me think that it is a driver issue or an issue with my Mbox 2. I have other equipment at home to help troubleshoot this issue... unfortunately I am on a business trip so I'm out of luck with that. I will upgrade to version 8.0.5 which is the latest version for 8.0.X and let you know how I'm doing.

Go ahead with the upgrade and check the mbox drivers too.
When you post back we'll take it from there.

Another quick question - Does the mbox work as a system output device? Ie. does media player/itunes/youtube play through the mbox ok?

All right, so I upgraded to 8.0.5 and now I can hear my audio input... but still nothing on the meters and no audio captured while recording. Also, my Mbox 2 is not working as my computers audio output either.

Hmm. Still strange.

You shouldn't be able to hear anything without the meters moving, unless you've turned the input monitoring knob on the mbox.

Have you gone through the Setup>IO panel in Protools?
If not, go to the input tab, select all, hit delete, then hit default to repopulate the list.
Do the same for the output tab.

Do you have a soundcard that is on the motherboard? If so, you need to go into your bios and disable it!

I agree with Steenamaroo Pro Tools uses Digidesign/Avid I/O exclusively, nor have I ever had to disable a soundcard on the several other computers I've installed Pro Tools on. But, I will give it a shot... I have no ideas of my own. Also, I have all ready rest my I/O configuration with no luck. And I have turned the mix knob on the Mbox 2, I just thought to point that out as the Mbox 2 is at least processing some audio.

My apologies... I was referring to the LE version. Which is the version that I am currently having my issue with.

OP. You said the mbox is not working as the system output device....
This is the root of the problem. You may need to update your drivers.

Protools 8+> famously requires audio interface drivers to be installed after ProTools is installed. It's ridiculous, but get yourself on to AVID.COM and make sure you're up to date.

Last edited:
Back