Pro Tools SE

Apparently PT se is not available for download from avid. My bad.

Open Pro Tools and look for the 'check for updates' tab in the menu bar.

I don't really feel like I've been able to help you at all here. Sorry man.

Hello, Steenamaroo. Boy, things have a way of getting so complicated with me lately. I talked to AVID and they recommended that I uninstall ALL pro tools se downloads and the driver for the m-audio interface then log on as new user as administrator then give the software another chance. Not what I had hoped to ear.

Then my buddy who is a "computer deal" hound emails me about the specials Dell is running on the refurbished/scratch and dent specials. I could get a laptop exactly like mine, more memory and processor speed, for $140 less. So....I returned the Dell I had purchased at Staples (it was within the 14 day return policy) and ordered the refurbished one.

I also fired off a not so nice email to AVID suggesting that if downloading their pro tools se program is such a hassle, requiring countless modifications on my laptop, why on earth would I eveer consider upgrading with pro tools or have any faith in the stability of the program I now have. Surely, we have reached the point where we can assume that there is a definite error either in the pro tools software or the m-audio interface itself.

They actually wrote back and agreed, asked me to try downloading the pro tools se on the new computer (I should receive it by next Wednesday), download the driver for the interface, and if there is the slightest problem, they will be more than happy to give me a new software program. And if the problems persist, a new audio interface.

So....with a little luck I'll be laying down some nice tracks by next weekend, burning some sample CDs within a few weeks, sign a recording contract within a few months, and be famous by year's end. Ha. Thanks again for all your help and patience. Take care my friend.

So, not to spy on this convo, but I am having the exact SAME problems with pro tools se that I got with my Avid Recording Studio/Avid Vocal Studio kit I got for christmas. Let me tell you something Tomerikac, you are not the only one. Check out this huge forum post I found a few weeks go with hundreds of other users experiencing the SAME trouble: Pro Tools SE White Noise Problems - Avid Audio Forums

To say the least, you and I being musicians, NOT computer technicians have been extremely frustrated (that's putting it mildly) with this software. Therefore, I am very curious to know how you got in touch with AVID. I have been trying to get in contact with them and would be so grateful if you could give me the number/email you used to contact them, as I completely agree with your thoughts on this software.

Thank you both for talking about this topic on this forum!

btw, I wish I was from the Beatles/led zeppelin generation! My parents were the lucky ones.

white noise

Hello, Steenamaroo and now, guitargirl7. I sincerely hope all is well with you two. It is interesting to find that I am not the only musician to experience a little (well, okay, a lot of) frustration with the pro tools se program. It makes me feel a little less inadequate when it comes to technology.

Yes, it's been trying. The AVID contact # 650-731-6100 and is on their website under support. When you call, they will ask for a case # which you will get when you register your device (In my case the m-audio audio interface). Once you have that, they will allow you to call the # on the website. Or, they can register your device on the phone at the same number, just follow the phone prompts. Unfortunately, they will have you do about 20 modifications to your computer, trying to get the software to work properly. I finally told the guy, look, surely you don't expect all your customers to go through all these procedures, in order to lay down a few simple tracks. One tech agreed and promised a new software program. I have yet to see it. They send a follow up email that you can respond to. The last thing they recommended to me was to make sure that I had connected to a 2.0 USB instead of a 3.0 USB. So, of course it worked fine for 1-2 tracks, I hangup the phone, and suddenly start getting that old static noise. But...........I found that when I encounter error codes or the white noise, if I save and close the session, when I reopen it, it is fine. So, whenever I run across the error codes or noise, I just save, close, and reopen. It seems to work well so far. Pain in the ass, but it works.

So, after trying three differrent laptops, downloading the updated m-audio driver about, oh I don't know maybe 15 different times, the pro tools se program about 15 times, doing about 20 modifications to the laptops, including logging on as administrator, upgrade graphic driver, update adaptive drivers, disable turbo boost, adjust powerization, optimize hard disk, and adjust processor scheduling

I'm thinking that absolutely none of those things were necessary. The new duo processor laptops (i5 or i7) can easily handle audio recording. But I have concluded that the pro tools se program is just simply inferior to higher models from pro tools and more hassle than many other software programs out there. For the time being, mine is working. But if I should continue to have problems, I'm gonna throw in the towel and try another software program. Too much hassle. I'm a musician, not a computer techie.
But in the end, I think I am experiencing that learning curve that everyone must go through in doing something new on the computer. I know that I have much still to learn about how to use the features on the program.

Good luck guitargirl7 and hey Steenamaroo, thanks for hanging in there with me while I worked out the kinks on this new venture. Take care you two and let me know how things are. I'm not a facebook kinda guy but I enjoy hearing from you.

btw, I wish I was from the Beatles/led zeppelin generation! My parents were the lucky ones.

Yep, I know I'm an old man (60 this year) but I will never regret and will always treasure the experience of the 60s. So much change, music, freedom, self expression, and creativity that had a trememdous impact on shaping my beliefs and values. Soon, I am hoping that I can and share that experience with others through my music and writings. Take care.

I'm a music teacher AND retired from the IT world a few years back, and IMO Pro Tools 8 SE was the WORST thing avid could have done. Just two examples: 1: Though there is a "quantize" button, it's dead. Instead, you have to use "snap to grid." THAT'S real intuitive!!! 2: One of my students had to wipe his ENTIRE Win 7 os and reinstall PT because he inadvertently plugged his C400 into a different usb port. Completely killed PT. Again, while I've been out of the IT biz full time, I'm still comfortable around them, and we did everything we could. I've had two students switch to Logic because of 8 SE.

Hello, Steenamaroo and now, guitargirl7. I sincerely hope all is well with you two. It is interesting to find that I am not the only musician to experience a little (well, okay, a lot of) frustration with the pro tools se program. It makes me feel a little less inadequate when it comes to technology.

Yes, it's been trying. The AVID contact # 650-731-6100 and is on their website under support. When you call, they will ask for a case # which you will get when you register your device (In my case the m-audio audio interface). Once you have that, they will allow you to call the # on the website. Or, they can register your device on the phone at the same number, just follow the phone prompts. Unfortunately, they will have you do about 20 modifications to your computer, trying to get the software to work properly. I finally told the guy, look, surely you don't expect all your customers to go through all these procedures, in order to lay down a few simple tracks. One tech agreed and promised a new software program. I have yet to see it. They send a follow up email that you can respond to. The last thing they recommended to me was to make sure that I had connected to a 2.0 USB instead of a 3.0 USB. So, of course it worked fine for 1-2 tracks, I hangup the phone, and suddenly start getting that old static noise. But...........I found that when I encounter error codes or the white noise, if I save and close the session, when I reopen it, it is fine. So, whenever I run across the error codes or noise, I just save, close, and reopen. It seems to work well so far. Pain in the ass, but it works.

So, after trying three differrent laptops, downloading the updated m-audio driver about, oh I don't know maybe 15 different times, the pro tools se program about 15 times, doing about 20 modifications to the laptops, including logging on as administrator, upgrade graphic driver, update adaptive drivers, disable turbo boost, adjust powerization, optimize hard disk, and adjust processor scheduling

I'm thinking that absolutely none of those things were necessary. The new duo processor laptops (i5 or i7) can easily handle audio recording. But I have concluded that the pro tools se program is just simply inferior to higher models from pro tools and more hassle than many other software programs out there. For the time being, mine is working. But if I should continue to have problems, I'm gonna throw in the towel and try another software program. Too much hassle. I'm a musician, not a computer techie.
But in the end, I think I am experiencing that learning curve that everyone must go through in doing something new on the computer. I know that I have much still to learn about how to use the features on the program.

Good luck guitargirl7 and hey Steenamaroo, thanks for hanging in there with me while I worked out the kinks on this new venture. Take care you two and let me know how things are. I'm not a facebook kinda guy but I enjoy hearing from you.

______
Man that sucks.... On a brighter note, ya'll have been so nice on here, thank you for your advice and story! I just called Avid, and after being on hold for almost an hour, I was pretty peeved. I had some robot-like tech dude first tell me to create a new administrator account on my computer, and use pro tools se that way (Do you think I should give it a shot?). Then once I explained my trust issues with the company, he told me to register my product, call the tech people, and have them try to troubleshoot it. From your story, I don't think I'm prepared for that hell, and shouldn't have to go through it in the first place. At this point, I am extremely disappointed with this company and their product. I would like some serious advice that would save me a whole lot of trouble in the long run...
Should I give tech support/creating an administrator account a shot, or should I just throw in the towel, return the product, and save up yet AGAIN to purchase different recording software?

Thank you! Any advice is welcome at this point. I just think this has gone on way past too long. I'm gonna commit harey carey (however you spell it) before we know it.

btw, thanks for sharing your love for the 60s... If I could time travel, I wouldn't think twice about choosing that time! Keep going with your music and telling tales through song. Hopefully someday we'll all hear each other’s music. :)

pro tools se

Hello again, guitargirl7. My suggestion is simply "don't give up yet." It took me about 20 forum posts, about 6 calls to AVID, and about three weeks of trying this, that, other suggestions I read in forums, but.........(and I have no idea why) the program just finally starting working and I am laying down tracks that sound great, burning CDs to distribute to my singers and friends for critique/advice and sending them via email to friends across the country, just what I had intended to do. The more you start trying this and that, working through the learning curve, the more familiar it starts to feel and the more you know how to handle any roadblocks that come along. I still have to occasionally save/close/then reopen to get away from the static noise, but it seems to be happening less and less. Maybe it's just that I've been working alot on one tune. I really was so pleased today to be able to hand my vocalist a CD with the song with a track to help her memorize the melody and get a feel for the tune. Anyway, try to avoid being frustrated, it won't help anything. Just keep plugging away and I believe you'll figure it out. Keep me posted and take care. Good luck.

is this se for windows? i skipped a few pages! LOL. uhh...try changing the buffers. when doing playback...u must make sure the buffer is set higher, and the polyphony is set to at least 256. also look in the buffer for a area for a box that has a checkmark. if u only see one box...then check that box, and the new one that pops up under that first box. when are recording...you would want to lower the buffer some for latency issues. u should be good from there.:cool:

is this se for windows? i skipped a few pages! LOL. uhh...try changing the buffers under the prferences. when doing playback...u must make sure the buffer is set higher, and the polyphony is set to at least 256. also look in the buffer for a area for a box that has a checkmark. if u only see one box...then check that box, and the new one that pops up under that first box. when are recording...you would want to lower the buffer some for latency issues. u should be good from there.:cool:

Back