Pro Tools SE

Gaetano Capuano

My wife just got me a Avid Keystation for Christmas. I am siked. I really dig this little keyboard and will be using it with Abelton. It came with Pro Tools SE, I just wanted to know if this software is any good?

First experience with pro tools se

Well......not so good. protools se software came with the m-audio audio interface I bought. My old desk top could not handle the CD download, so I purchased a Toshiba laptop, i5 processor, 750 gb hard drive, 2.2ghz, 5400 rpm processor, 6 gb ram memory. It seemed to work well for a few days, but quickly ran into "error codes," losing tracks, tracks would not record, recorded tracks trurning to white noise, not able to reopen past recordings. A quick look at youtube showd some fella "saving" each track as it was recorded. This did not help me. I mean this thing really went haywire. I was told that perhaps I needed to visit the protools sight to download a driver. But hey, what was on the 2 discs I downloaded??? Besides, my laptop would terminate dowload half way through process. I'm thinking that protools is a very nice software program and for my needs (a little amateur home recording with my keyboard and guitar) I'm thinking that the se would be adequate. I checked the user manual and the only specifications they give on a laptop that will handle the program is that one needs at least a 2.0ghz processor (the i5 has 2.2) and at least 5400 rpm hard drive (the laptop has this). Can someone out there give me some ideas??? I'm thinking that either A) I need to get a laptop with a bigger processor (only because the boys at Staples and Best Buy claim that is my problem, they want to sell me a laptop with an i7 processor (another $200 at least). or B) I need to start over again with the download. Maybe uninstall and start over. or C) Maybe I need to go to a more user friendly software audio recording program. Any ideas? Thanks so much and happy recording.

Hi there,

There are a couple of things I'm not following here.

so I purchased a Toshiba laptop, i5 processor, 750 gb hard drive, 2.2ghz, 5400 rpm processor, 6 gb ram memory.
This is a great setup. You don't need to upgrade.

My old desk top could not handle the CD download

What do you mean? Were you downloading software from the internet or is there a physical disc.

A quick look at youtube showd some fella "saving" each track as it was recorded. This did not help me.

This might be a good work around for a heavy session that's overloading the computer
How many tracks are you running? You almost certainly shouldn't have to do this.

I checked the user manual and the only specifications they give on a laptop that will handle the program is that one needs at least a 2.0ghz processor (the i5 has 2.2)

They're most likely referencing core2duo technology too, so either way you're definitely in the clear.

I need to start over again with the download. Maybe uninstall and start over. or C) Maybe I need to go to a more user friendly software audio recording program. Any ideas?

You say you had Pro Tools SE running, so what's the download?

It seemed to work well for a few days, but quickly ran into "error codes," losing tracks, tracks would not record, recorded tracks trurning to white noise, not able to reopen past recordings.

What operating system do you have? Is your version of Pro Tools supported?

It shouldn't be this problematic so there's probably a simple solution but reaper is a cracking alternative software suite if you end up having long term problems.

What were your error codes?

Hello, Steenamaroo. I'll try to answer your questions here.
1- Yes, I was advised that and i5 processor with at least 6gb of RAM should be plenty power.
2-Originally, I was trying to download the program from the two CDs software program that came with my m-audio interface onto my old laptop. It didn't have the memory for it.
3- I was only running 2-3 tracks. A drum track from the program, a piano track I played on my Yamaha motif, and a bass track, also from the motif.
4- A friend of mine had difficulty downloading his audio recording software (I'm not sure which) and he had told me that he had to eventually donload a driver from the software sight. Yes, I had assumed that the driver would have been included in the 2 CDs download.
5- Yes, the protools software seemed fine at first but gradually became worse and worse.
6- The system is Windows 7, and it is listed as compatible with the software.
I wound up taking the laptop back to Staples (they were the ones who told me that "it probably couldn't handle the program. The tatooed, pierced manager mentioned his roommate who had to buy a $2000 computer to handle his pro tools system. I'm wondering if that program was much more advanced than the se.
As I recall, the error code was "DAE error 9060." Repeatedly.
So, I'm considering purchasing an HP laptop (i5, 750 gb, 5400 rpm, 8gb RAM) for around the same price and it has the Beats audio system to boot and trying again. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your response.

These guys are just full of shit if you'll pardon my language.

If you're running a few simple tracks there absolutely no need for a big powerful setup and to be honest, you've already got one anyway.

I run PT9 on my macbook. 2.3ghz i5, 4gbram. Easily 30-40 tracks dripping with effects.

Anyway, You're using an maudio interface and Pro tools se, so I'd recommend updating the software for both of these online if you can.
Pro tools should have a 'check for updates' in the help menu or somewhere like that.

The maudio drivers you'll just have to look for, but they'll be on AVID.com I guess.

Once you know for sure you're fully up to date, let us know what's happening, ok?

edit* Where are you saving your sessions to?
Try a different location, or better yet an external hard drive.

Will do.

Thanks, Steenamaroo for the expertise. I'm looking forward to getting a new laptop this weekend and starting over with the downloads. I'll check the websites for any updates and keep you posted. Actually, I really liked the pro tools when it was working. I'll also check out reaper. Thanks again, and take care.

5400 vs, 7200 rpm processor???

No sweat. Let us know, yeah?

Hello, Steenamaroo. I hope all is well. So, you're from the land of the Beatles!! Forgive me, I'm a 59 yr old product of the 60s and back then....well, you just had to be there. I had hoped to be up and running by now but would appreciate your opinion on one more thing. I have put off purchasing a nice laptop for my home audio recording till I finish investigaitng the importance of a 7200rpm processor over a 5400rpm processor. On some forums I've read that, without a doubt, for recording purposes a 7200 rpm is needed. Othrs claim that unless you're going to be running/recording many (maybe more than 10-12 tracks with effects, or recording 3 or more tracks simultaneoudly) that a 5400rpm is more than adequate. Plus I've read that it is common and highly recommended to run an external hard drive (price $100-$200) for recording, separate from storage. So, a nice laptop (Toshiba, HP, Dell) laptop with 750gb hard i5 processor 5400rpm, 6gb ram runs for around $599 here. However, looking on line at Dell refurbished or scratch and dent, I can pick up a dell laptop with the above specs, plus a 7200 rpm processor for about $560.

Gets a little complicated. But I'm thinking that if I can get by with a 5400rpm processor with the little recording I'll be doing (probably 1 track at a time with my yamaha motif/vocal/guitar) maybe up to about 10 tracks) then if and when things get more complicated and I eventually know what I'm doing, I'll add a 7200rpm external processor to speed things along. Does this sound like logical and practical approach to you? Hey, thanks again for your input. Take care an d happy recording.

Hello, Steenamaroo. I hope all is well. So, you're from the land of the Beatles!! Forgive me, I'm a 59 yr old product of the 60s and back then....well, you just had to be there.

I wish I had been. Might have got a job back then :P

Hi Tom. All's well thanks for asking. Hope it's the same with you. :)

A 5400 drive can go a long way but a 7200 external is generally the recommended setup I guess.

I think your idea is absolutely the best.
Work with what you have, see how it goes, and if you run into issues just plug in an external drive later on.

You can't really lose doing it that way round.

I did my entire university project session (which was hefty) from a 5400 drive, all be it, just about.lol.

Hope that helps.

PS. In my opinion software hasn't expanded at the same rate as hardware recently.
People are running the same stuff they had on their core2duo machines on their new i5/i7 machines.

Any laptop with an i* processor is going to be very capable.

Hello, Steenamaroo. Sorry to hear about your job situation. Personally, I'm about to retire (couple more years) as a Middle School Spanish teacher. It's been a long haul. About 25 years. Anyway, I'm interested in your masters thesis on a 5400 rpm processor. Was it a musical composition? How many tracks? Last time we talked I was convinced that I could get by with a 5400 and just add a 7200 rpm hard drive to the system. Most everyone is recommending running the software through a different hard drive than the recording itself. If that makes sense. Can I run the pro tools software through my laptop then recod my tracks onto an external hard drive? Anyway, I'm going to go (I think) with the scratch and dent dell inspiron 17r laptop, i5 processor, 6gb ram, 7200 rpm processor speed because 1) It's about $60 cheaper than the models I see advertised now and they just have 5400 rpm processors and 2)just about everyone is saying that you'll never regret getting the 7200 over the 5400. I'll still get the 7200 external hard drive. After my initial experience with the pro tools se program, I would rather overkill than run into some difficulties. Anyway, keep in touch and let me know how that 5400rpm processor did for you. Take care........mate.

Hello, again Steenamaroo. Hope you're doing well. Just to update you, I found a Dell laptop 17" screen (which I really like) i5 processor, 5400 rpm, 8gb ram, 750gb hard drive on sale for $599. Brought it home and immediately ran into some difficulties downloading the m-audio driver and pro tools software. It took a couple hours to finally get it done, then using headphones, the samples coming out of the programs were just awful sounding. I've tried updates and may just have to uninstall and start over. I'm thinking the laptop is fully capable of handling the software. I checked on line for the Reaper program and $200 is a little bit for me, especially if I can get this pro tools se up and running. I'm planning on retrying agin this morning to try to figure out the problem then possibly taking the setup back to guitar center where I bought the interface to have them take a look at it. I'm hoping that I can just get some recording done on this thing. I'm starting to realize that I'm basically a musician, years of playing guitar (started when I was about 14) and piano (private lessons, studied at Arizona State as composition major, piano performance) and played in a peerforming band for years, so am very accustomed to sitting at an instrument, creating sound, for hours, years. But, sitting at a computer, not really understanding how it works, and getting frustrated at not getting quick results, makes me realize that I just want to lay down a few tracks, develop some ideas, then take the basic framework of a composition to a professional to rerecord or edit the recording into something more professional. I'm a musician, not a computer technician. Anyway, here's hoping that I can eventually learn to lay down some tracks.

Hi again Tom,
I'm sure we can help you but let's break it down into step by step facts here.

You bought a new laptop and had difficulties downloading the software.
You reckon that's sorted now? Driver and Pro tools are installed?

You say "the samples coming out of the programs were just awful sounding"
Elaborate on this please? Where did you get the samples? Did you record them or import them?
What was wrong with them? Glitchy? Clicks and pops? Distorted?

Does pro tools give you any error messages?

The more specific detail the better. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

Does the maudio work well for music playback?
Is playing from itunes/youtube/whatever ok, and also if you just dump and mp3 into protools does that playback ok?

I'm trying to determine if your problem is related to the recording or the playback.

Quick update if you're still here, Steenamaroo. I purchased a Dell Inspiron 17R, 17" screen, i5 750 gb hard drive, 5400 rpm, 8gb ram memory. Great sale. Love the large screen. You would think this thing would easily handle the pro tools se software. NOT!!! This is the 2nd laptop I've tried to use this program with so...I called Guitar Center where I bought the audio interface that included the protools se software and they are more than willing to have me bring in the setup and see why it's just not working. I'm thinking that possibly the software is faulty. But it will be nice to have someone knowledgeable look things over. As a musician, I am accustomed to spending hours daily over years enjoying learning/playing my instrument. But I am just not accustomed to (evidently don't have the talent for) spending more time at a computer than actually playing. I just want to lay down some ideas, try to develop them, then once I feel they are all laid out, take them to a professional technician for detailing, cleaning up, and possibly rerecording by professional musicians. Anyway, I'm hoping the boys at Guitar Center can locate the problem(s). Otherwise, I will probably toss out the pro tools and go with Reaper or some other software program. Take care good buddy and good luck on your job search.

Tom, did you read my post?

I don't mean to be rude, but you're glossing over the details. Read above and reply and I'll try to help you out.

My advice, if the guy at GC tries to sell you anything, just turn around and walk away.
They are salesmen, not technical advisors; Remember that.

There's no reason why your current gear shouldn't work, so be specific and we'll take it from there.

Hey, I just noticed you had responded. In answer to your questions:
Yes, I had problems downloading the software. 2 CDs came with the audio interface, one for m-audio, one for pro tools se. First, I had to download updates to Java. Pro tools dowload took a good hour. At one time it stopped because of "redundancy " reasons. The m audio software would not download saying that something had to be "modified." Finally, after many repeated attempts, I was able to get them both downloaded.

Once I was able to record, I laid down a piano track from my yamaha motig, through the m-audio interface, to the computer. While I monitor the signal at the interface with my headphones, all sounds great. On playback, it sounds (through the headphones)like it is being played through both the headphones and the cheapest speakers ever made. Kinda like the two best and worst speakers combined, if that makes sense. Even while listening to the music samples on the program, I got that horrible sound.

The error codes started popping up (error code 9060, as I recall) within the first beat of playback.

At one time, the computer froze and I had to control/alt/delete and relog in. That is why I am thinking that the software may be faulty. Anyway, I'm hoping the boys at Guitar Center can figure things out. Maybe I'll just get an old fashioned cassette recorder. They were easier to use. ;) Anyway, I sure appreciate your concern and hope all is well with you. I'll keep you updated. Take care, buddy.

I

Steenamaroo- I'm tomerikac on skype. When you have the time and wouldn't mind let's chat. My in laws are visiting from Mexico and are bunking in my music room. But maybe I could show you the problems I'm having. Thanks so much and I'll understand if you have your reasons no to. Take care.

From another post
"5. Norton AntiVirus, Norton SystemWorks, and Virex have been reported to cause DAE -9060 errors on OSX. To remove them run the Norton uninstaller or remove the anti-virus files from Library>Startup Items."

Any good?

This thread might be useful too.

Back