Pro Tools SE

m audio update having issues

Hello, Steenamaroo. Well, I took the setup to guitar center for ther input. The fella recommended that I double check the driver update (gee, that sounds familiar). I double checked and realized that I had been trying to download the windows 7 64 bit and did not realize that my computer is the windows 7 64 bit SP1, a defferent download. So, I went to the website and tried to download the appropriate update but my laptop keeps terminating download before completion, saying that the download ended prematurely. I have gone into msconfig and disabled all the running programs. Nothing seems to be able to let me download the update. Any suggestions? Thanks again. I must be driving you nuts. Take care.

Ok. the wrong software version could explain everything.....or nothing,lol.

You say the download ended prematurely. Is there an option to resume from where it left off, or is it back to the start?
Try firefox browser. I'm pretty sure it has a resume function.

The only reason I can think of for that happening is if your internet connection drops or if the server drops.

How's your internet? Since it's a laptop, perhaps you could try downloading at a friends house?
Or if you're on a wireless connection, stay near the router until the download completes.

At least we have a potential reason for the problems now.

Hello, Steenamaroo. How do I get into firefox download? I believe the internet connection is fine. I'm 3 ft from the router and have never had problems in the past. I'm currently redownloading the protools software. Also, when I tried to open protools before I ran across an error code 31000. I checked on line and it suggested opening pro tools by right clicking then clicking on administrator. It worked. Still trying to record a single track. I click on the track record, then the record button above, but no meter readings. The fella at guitar center suggested I just get a mac, so fewer problems and probably save money in the long run. Is it just me or do others have this much difficulty with pro tools? Thanks

It's just you I'm afraid (give or take). Please don't buy more stuff.

I'm a mac user. I think they're fantastic, but if you cut away all the chaff, you just bought a new laptop and tried to download a file.
It didn't work.

There's something wrong that most certainly shouldn't require you to buy more stuff.

My advice is to forget about (or better yet delete) the copy of Pro Tools that you have. It's just adding to the confusion.

Download the version that is compatible with your operating system first.

After my last post i remembered avid's site has a download manager. Where are you downloading PT software from?

Well, if it' just me, good. Maybe it'll be worthwhile figuring this thing out. I just tried to download pro tools again (from the CD that came with the interface) and it stopped, telling me that I had to first download quicktime before continuing. Wew, it hadn't done that before. I'll see if I can find an avid website that will let me download pro tools se and uninstall this version. Then....well, we'll see. Thanks

I don't understand Tomerikac....

Did you not discover that the Cd had the wrong version of Pro Tools?

I just tried to download pro tools again (from the CD that came with the interface) and it stopped, telling me that I had to first download quicktime before continuing.

So, stupid question.......did you download quicktime?

Yes, I downloaded quicktime. Uninstalled pro tools se (that came on the discs) and started looking for a free download on line. Could not find one that my computer did not consider "risky" and some sites wanted to download toolbars, popups, etc. So am considering trying to download pro tools se with discs again. Am I totally inept at this or what?

Whoa whoa ...slow up....
The discs are the wrong version (as far as I know?!). That's the reason you're trying to find it online, right?

Avid | Home
That's the only place you wanna get Protools from. :)

I think if you make an account with them and register your product you should see download options for your software.

I wouldn't bother trying to download from anywhere else. You'll probably meet all sorts of malware + I think it'd be illegal, technically.

Last edited:
Hello, Steenamaroo. Just got back from Sedona (supposed "mystical" resort town in northern Arizona, claiming to have "four vortexes" of high spiritual energy). Actually, a nice place to take the inlaws for the day.

Update: I realized my mistake in downoading the driver for m-audio. My preface is not the usb model but rather the (2) model (I only found that out by checking out the pictures of the intrfaces on the avid website) and my windows 7 is 64 bit SP1 (not just 64 bit). So.....I uninstalled the old drivers and was able to download the right driver. Now the program allows me to lay down the tracks with ease. However.......I am still getting this annoying static during recording and playback. I'm planning on calling avid help line tomorrow to see what they might suggest. I will also try to register and see if I can get a better download for the pro tools. Thanks for all your help and putting up with my lack of experience and knowledge of what I'm trying to do. I'll update you after I talk with AVID tomorrow. Take care

If it's intermittent clicks and pops during recording, go to setup > playback options (from memory) and look for buffer size.
If it's very low (64 or 128) then turn it up to 256 or 512.

Let me know if that helps.

Update

thanks. Let me update you on what avid/home is advising, They sent me an email and they listed the following actions :
1- update grahics driver
2- update network adapters drivers
3-adjust power options
4-run as administrator
5-hard disk optimizations
6- adjust processor scheduling

I did them all to no avail. So I called back and they recommended that I download a new software recording program (ableton) to check if that works. If so, my m-audio is fine and the pro tools software is bad. If it doesn't work, then we can assume that my audio interface is not working properly.

I've done a little recording with the new program and it sounds great, albeit, a new different program that is much different than pro tools and I am having to crawl through, but I am running into a delayed sound. (I hear the notes a split second after playing (latency?) I'm thinking that is just an adjustment somewhere,

I will call them back. They had said that they will give me an updated version of pro tools if this program proves to be inoperable.

Funny thing is, both reps/techs I've talked to have hinted that audio software does so much better on a Mac. I am tempted to dump this thing and get a mac. In the long run, I'm guessing it will be so much easier, less frustration and adjustments, and in the long rum probably less expensive. What do you think?

Well, I know I said you shouldn't need to upgrade or buy anything else, and I maintain that,
but if you're within your returns period on the laptop and you're thinking about a mac anyway, why not?

Obviously there's a huge debate around it, but it's often said that windows PCs can require greater user knowledge and optimisation.

In my experience this is true.
My mac just works...always.....

I know there'll be plenty of people arguing against saying that their windows machine is amazing and what not. I don't doubt that it's true, but in my personal experience and the experience of those around me, OSx is a much simpler environment than any other.

I know one of the users complained about how not user friendly osx is, and how he spent 4 hours trying to copy a song into itunes or something (Bobbsy maybe?)
Point is, you will find alternative opinions.
This one's just mine.

FWIW, I'm not one of these 'money to burn, all about the brand' guys.
I'm broke and I bought a MBP a few months back. Currently saving for a mac mini desktop.

Last edited:
I was able to get down some nice clear tracks with the ableton software. Pain in the butt, though. It's a 30 day trial program that you must run through the website. But, it proves that the pro tools se software I have is faulty. I did go back to pro tools to check it out again and I still hear that constant static that accompanies any notes I play. So...I tried to contact avid by phone but was too late today ( I was at my god son's birthday.) So am planning on calling them on Monday. I'm assuming they are going to either send me or give me a download for a pro tools program. According to what I've read on line, pro tools works well with either mac or pc.

As far as swapping out my system for a mac, I've checked the prices, even used I'm looking at $800. I've been researching the pros and cons of each (and there are pros and cons to each system) and am concluding that either system will work. It might be a good idea to go with that which one is accustomed to. Also, I'm very impressed with the clarity and ease of recording on a pc WHEN YOU HAVE A SOFTWARE PROGRAM THAT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!

So, I'm hoping to get in touch with avid/home on Monday, downloading a new softwae program, and giving it another try. If I still run into problems, I think I'll take back the PC and visit my nearest apple mac store and learn garage band (but the name "Garage Band" sounds to me so dumb rocker just press the buttons and play loud, fast and without expression). But that's just me, starting out in folk guitar, getting into classical guitar, piano study, theory and composition major at ASU, jazz band player, and night time rock and roll keyboard player. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again and take care.

Aw man, I'm not even sure where we are any more.

Are you now running the right version of Pro tools now?

Did you adjust the buffer settings?(post 32)

Please, I don't mean to be rude but for now, just yes or no.

No........... pro tools se is a very basic software program....with no buffer controls. The ableton software recording program I downloaded did, however, have buffer controls. Unfortunately, it also hummed and had much static sound upon replay of recorded tracks. So.....2 systems, 2 laptops, 2 software programs, 1 audio interface..........The fault must be in the interface. I'm having a friend's tech/recording engineer double check the system to be sure it's the interface. I'm thinking avid will be willing to replace interface. We'll see. Thanks (sorry I couldn't answer with a simple yes or no.)

You did good, I didn't mean to be snippy.

What about the PT version? You on the right one now?

I don't often say it but if it's gonna cause you this much trouble and functionality like h/w buffer setting isn't even there, maybe you should download reaper.

AFAIK it's still free to try and 'buying' it is on an honour basis.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steenamaroo. I haven't yet heard back from the tech to set a time for him to check out my system. Depending on what he comes up with, I'll contact avid home to see what they'll warranty. I may wind up with reaper yet. Thanks again. Take care.

Hello, Steenamaroo. Boy, things have a way of getting so complicated with me lately. I talked to AVID and they recommended that I uninstall ALL pro tools se downloads and the driver for the m-audio interface then log on as new user as administrator then give the software another chance. Not what I had hoped to ear.

Then my buddy who is a "computer deal" hound emails me about the specials Dell is running on the refurbished/scratch and dent specials. I could get a laptop exactly like mine, more memory and processor speed, for $140 less. So....I returned the Dell I had purchased at Staples (it was within the 14 day return policy) and ordered the refurbished one.

I also fired off a not so nice email to AVID suggesting that if downloading their pro tools se program is such a hassle, requiring countless modifications on my laptop, why on earth would I eveer consider upgrading with pro tools or have any faith in the stability of the program I now have. Surely, we have reached the point where we can assume that there is a definite error either in the pro tools software or the m-audio interface itself.

They actually wrote back and agreed, asked me to try downloading the pro tools se on the new computer (I should receive it by next Wednesday), download the driver for the interface, and if there is the slightest problem, they will be more than happy to give me a new software program. And if the problems persist, a new audio interface.

So....with a little luck I'll be laying down some nice tracks by next weekend, burning some sample CDs within a few weeks, sign a recording contract within a few months, and be famous by year's end. Ha. Thanks again for all your help and patience. Take care my friend.

Back