Pro-Tools is REDICULOUSLY slow/glitchy, help!

curiousddd

I was working on a song when it started slowing and freezing so intensley I couldn't operate the program. I defragmented my computer, deleted some programs, and moved ALL of my pro tools tracks except the one I was working on off my computer. Yet it is still insanely slow and glitchy. I have no idea what is wrong and what I can do. Can anyone help?

It is almost impossible to diagnose with the limited info you provided. What system are you using, OS, Drives, version... etc.

It is almost impossible to diagnose with the limited info you provided. What system are you using, OS, Drives, version... etc.

+1

What operating system are you running?
What processor are you running? Is it a dual-core? Quad-core?
How much RAM?
Are you running the session off a different drive to your software (not just a different partition, a separate physical drive)?
Specs of your drive(s)?
What version of Pro Tools?
Have you optimized your system for Audio software?
Have you got other programs running in the background? (Antivirus scans can be a killer)

On the other hand, you could have a corrupt session. I have one particular session on my computer that's ridiculously slow and glitchy, and everything else runs like lightning.

Or, before you bother replying to all this. You could try trashing the Digi preferences folder and seeing if that helps. Google it, many many people have had to do it before.

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service pack 3
Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
1 GB of Ram
I am running them off the computer's hard drive, nothing external
Version of Pro Tools: 7.1
I'm not sure what optimizing my system is, so I guess I haven't.
I don't think any spyware programs a re running, I had Symantic but I took it off, still same problems

Thanks so much for the help!

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service pack 3
Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
1 GB of Ram
I am running them off the computer's hard drive, nothing external
Version of Pro Tools: 7.1
I'm not sure what optimizing my system is, so I guess I haven't.
I don't think any spyware programs a re running, I had Symantic but I took it off, still same problems

Thanks so much for the help!

1GB of RAM - that's one major problem. If I was you, I'd upgrade to at least 2GB of RAM, or better yet, 3 or 4 (RAM is very cheap). The difference will amaze you.

You have 4 processors, which is good. Set Pro Tools to use about 80% of all four, or 99% of two like so:

Setup>Playback Engine:
RTAS Processors: 2 Processor/4 Processor
CPU Usage Limit: 99%/80%

Running audio off the same session as your software is a bad idea.
If you, like most people, have Pro Tools installed on the same drive as your operating system (the C drive), then think about it:

1) Your operating system is running off the C drive. Which means that, your computers processes (such as screen redraws, background processes and general housekeeping) are running off this drive.

2) Your Pro Tools software is running off the same drive. You know Pro Tools, you know that it's complicated software (especially when bundled with multiple plugins). Running Pro Tools on your C drive is perfectly fine. The problem lies with the next point.

3) If you're running a session off the same drive, you're dealing with pulling X number of audio files off that drive. You could have 32 tracks of audio set up in pro tools. And within those tracks, you could be pulling audio from hundreds of different files. Pro Tools has to pull all this audio from the drive, load it into RAM (of which you have very little), and play it back based on where you have your audio set to play back. This is a very strenuous task as it is.

Combine the three of those, and it's an awful lot of work for the drive heads to move around and gather that much data. If you can run your session off a separate drive, you've at least halved the workload for your drives, and everything will run a lot smoother.

So, I'd recommend (if you don't already have one) a separate drive just for audio. This can be internal (a physical drive that you house within your computer), or an external. If you pick an external, make sure it's Firewire (USB is slow, and running a session from a USB drive isn't even supported by Digidesign). Also, make sure it's NOT formatted FAT32. Pro Tools doesn't like it, and it has a 4gb file transfer limit. You're using windows, so have it formatted NTFS.

I only started running my sessions of a separate drive recently, and the difference is astounding.

Edit: PM me your email and I'll send you a guide to optimize XP for Pro Tools. Digi sent it to me and it made a huge difference.

1 gb of Ram. To quote the Dixie Chicks...."There's your trouble."

I'm using an 08 iMac and had to upgrade from 2 to 4 gb of Ram for mine M Powered to work well.

DS

i dont mean to be a dick, but the OP might be trolling.
The pro tools installer runs a diagnostic, and it wont even install if the computer doesn't meet ram/CPU requirements.

i dont mean to be a dick, but the OP might be trolling.
The pro tools installer runs a diagnostic, and it wont even install if the computer doesn't meet ram/CPU requirements.

1GB of RAM in theory is enough, and is the minimum requirement, but on a Pentium 4 it's ALWAYS going to run mega slow. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you (OP) need a more modern computer.

In theory...yes. In the real world XP and XP Pro function best with 2GB. And forget 4GB, XP will never see it.

How many useless background programs are running? If you have more than 28-32 background processes running, that's too many. The only things you need running are the processes that keep the system alive and the program you are using at the time.

Have optimized virtual memory usage? Have you deleted all temporary files and folders? Empty the pre-fetch folder and delete it. It will rebuild itself on the first boot. After that, turn it off. Turn off the indexing service, turn off the update service, and the performance logs and alerts. Turn off the System Help and System Restore services. Each of these programs is bogging down your system. And with one GB of ram you need to squeeze every byte of performance out of what you do have.

The XP defrag program is about useless and it will never defrag the Master File Table. O&O is among the best defrag tools available.

1GB of RAM in theory is enough, and is the minimum requirement, but on a Pentium 4 it's ALWAYS going to run mega slow. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you (OP) need a more modern computer.

Forgot that the OP has Pro Tools 7.1, so it may be OK... Read the above post too though.

In theory...yes. In the real world XP and XP Pro function best with 2GB. And forget 4GB, XP will never see it.
wait, what does this mean?!@
I have 4 gb of ram, and i actually downgraded from windows 7 to XP professional (32 bits, im running 7.4) and it works so much better.

I know that there is a theoretical memory cap on 32 bit OS for somewhere at 3gb, so shouldnt i be able to optimize up to 3 gb?

Up to 3GB yes.

Go to 'Start-Accesories-System Information' you'll see how much Windows sees. How much is available and what your pagefile system is set up for.

I am having the same problem.....new problem...ran great for years

1GB of RAM - that's one major problem. If I was you, I'd upgrade to at least 2GB of RAM, or better yet, 3 or 4 (RAM is very cheap). The difference will amaze you.

You have 4 processors, which is good. Set Pro Tools to use about 80% of all four, or 99% of two like so:

Setup>Playback Engine:
RTAS Processors: 2 Processor/4 Processor
CPU Usage Limit: 99%/80%

Running audio off the same session as your software is a bad idea.
If you, like most people, have Pro Tools installed on the same drive as your operating system (the C drive), then think about it:

1) Your operating system is running off the C drive. Which means that, your computers processes (such as screen redraws, background processes and general housekeeping) are running off this drive.

2) Your Pro Tools software is running off the same drive. You know Pro Tools, you know that it's complicated software (especially when bundled with multiple plugins). Running Pro Tools on your C drive is perfectly fine. The problem lies with the next point.

3) If you're running a session off the same drive, you're dealing with pulling X number of audio files off that drive. You could have 32 tracks of audio set up in pro tools. And within those tracks, you could be pulling audio from hundreds of different files. Pro Tools has to pull all this audio from the drive, load it into RAM (of which you have very little), and play it back based on where you have your audio set to play back. This is a very strenuous task as it is.

Combine the three of those, and it's an awful lot of work for the drive heads to move around and gather that much data. If you can run your session off a separate drive, you've at least halved the workload for your drives, and everything will run a lot smoother.

So, I'd recommend (if you don't already have one) a separate drive just for audio. This can be internal (a physical drive that you house within your computer), or an external. If you pick an external, make sure it's Firewire (USB is slow, and running a session from a USB drive isn't even supported by Digidesign). Also, make sure it's NOT formatted FAT32. Pro Tools doesn't like it, and it has a 4gb file transfer limit. You're using windows, so have it formatted NTFS.

I only started running my sessions of a separate drive recently, and the difference is astounding.

Edit: PM me your email and I'll send you a guide to optimize XP for Pro Tools. Digi sent it to me and it made a huge difference.

I am having the same problem....ran great for years but....one day it just became laggy....I can get it to work in edit but mix is gone......slow response..........no sign of record button flashing in mix but when I change to edit it works fine......big problem......laggy laggy mix window

I am having the same problem....ran great for years but....one day it just became laggy....I can get it to work in edit but mix is gone......slow response..........no sign of record button flashing in mix but when I change to edit it works fine......big problem......laggy laggy mix window

If you're having problems with Protools out of the blue, try trashing all the preferences.
There's a tool out there that'll do it for you.

There are a couple of FIRST THINGS to do..I can't post links as I am a new user..

First off with WIN XP, never overlook you have a corrupt file...

Check your PC resources while recording or playback...

What is your PT's Playback engine set to ? Should be 256 for so for recording, higher for playback, also the setting for PC resources should be as hi as it allows

Your Ram is way too low, WIN XP allows 4 GIG in the slots but will only see 3.2, load up to 3 gig...

Optimize your WIN PC for recording, there are countless google articles which will detail how to turn off everything you don't need.

Defrag the HD...get rid of temp files etc....

Check previous recorded tracks/projects for the same issues...

wish I could post links..

I just went thru this a week ago with PT8 and WIN XP..on a RECORDING only PC...it's very efficient now, combination PC resources, PT project file and interaction with effects and embedded processors..

Also consider moving all projects to an external drive...keep the program on your main drive, record to an external drive.

Most efficient home recording setups have a separate PC for daily use, no internet, no mail, no virus protection etc...Daily PC's pick up stuff all the time that many of us don't even know we picked up...that hidden stuff will effect recording platforms. PT's requests you set the resources to grab 85% or higher of available resources..if there is clutter going on that you don't know about taking up gobs of your PC resources ...you are grabbing 85% of a very low number...which PT's does not like, and it is telling you...

good luck

t

Last edited:
Back