Pro tools newb questions

Wireneck

I have been working with Cool edit/Adobe Audition for years now. I am at a point where I am in a couple of bands who have projects going on where we record in larger studios. I do some of my own overdubs at times or prepare scratch outlines etc.. ahead of time. All of the places we work at use Pro Tools so it makes sense that to save time and effort I should start utilizing the same software. I also like the idea of having midi integration (audition doesn't support it).
I am looking into buying an Mbox 2. I keep reading that you need a separate recording hard drive. Is pro tools really that taxing that you can't use your startup hard drive? I understand it may be more efficient to have a separate drive but will it work using the "main" drive in my CPU.
My second question is this. If I use Pro Tools on a PC and I save a session file and then go to a studio that uses Pro tools on a Mac, will the file be compatible? I have little to no experience with a Mac but something tells me the answer to this is no.
I am sure more questions will surface but these are things I need to answer right away to start weighing out the cost.

thanks in advance

Back