Pro Tools on Mac vs. Pro Tools on Windows

carsoste

Hello:
I've been recording with and really learning how to use Pro Tools on my Mac recently, but it looks like I'll be switching and recording with it on a Windows based computer soon. I was just wondering are there any huge differences in recording with Pro Tools on a Mac as opposed to a Windows based computer that I should be prepared for?
Thanks.
carsoste

I use macs at school and windows at home, haven't noticed any difference. The modifier keys are located in different spots but you get use to it.

Apart from the different modifiers (ctl option/alt command/windows key) there's nothing I can think of...

Agreed, i just love pro tools on mac cause digidesign actually tests the exact system you have to work out any bugs.

Agreed, i just love pro tools on mac cause digidesign actually tests the exact system you have to work out any bugs.

They do exactly the same on PC ;)

People just prefer to use their standard spec home pcs or other low spec crap which they pick up at the supermarket; which is where the problems lie.

Thanks

Hi Everybody:
Thank you for answering my questions. Hopefully, I'll record as well on Pro Tools with Windows as I do with Mac.
Thanks again.
carsoste

As a few have stated already, you need the right windows computer, and then you'll be fine. I've been using a Windows machine to run ProTools LE for at least 6-7 years, and don't regret it one bit.

Just make sure you check Digidesign's compatibility info before you purchase/build a windows machine. There are strict requirements on the windows side that need to be followed in order for success to be had.

I've LE 8.0.3 on both mac and pc.

Mac: iMac w/dual-core processer (?gHz), 3gb of RAM, crashes whenever I try
to run guitar rig once. There are no other programs (even removed 95% of the
software bundled with Leopard) on it, and at least 100gb of disk space.

Windows (XP) : Custom w/quad-core processer (?gHz), 4gb of RAM, runs at
least 7 instances of Guitar rig and other plug-ins too, even with Winamp, Firefox,
and other crap running in the background.

It's down to your specs, as previously mentioned ;)

@Philbagg - that's really interesting. Of the dozens (hundreds?) of pro studios in the Nashville area, ~90% use Pro Tools as a primary platform, and I only know of 2 using Windows...and I've too often heard from their interns about the systems going down/bugging out at the least opportune times.

That said, I would agree that a tech savvy person *should* be able to make a windows system as stable as most mac systems.

Its crazy because pro tools is the same on both systems. it really is the users responsibility to make sure there system is up to task to be able to use pro tools properly which in my experience makes you appreciate your setup that much more and also helps in everyones pro tools stability. Just do as required for your system, its on avids website for gods sake!

Well I can't find any difference while using different operating system with pro tools software for recording.The difference can be find if you are using different software.Therefore I don't think that there would be any difference.

Back