Pro Tools LE8 - drum track tempo adjustments

Karl Lohninger

I'm a rather casual Pro Tools user....so this is probably a beginner's question:

Here's my puzzle:

I have a session set to run at 86 bpm. Dragging in a drum sample file (wav) recorded at, let's say 100 bpm, sometimes this file adjusts automatically to the set session speed of 86 bpm, but sometimes it does not !

I can't figure out why! What settings, if there are any, do I have to change to make this happen? Paging through the extended manual didn't help me either so far.

hints and help appreciated, Karl

I don't think a wav file should ever adjust to conform to tempo, unless theres something I don't know about.

A midi file will conform to your tempo though. Is that maybe where the difference is?

Say you lay out midi drums and bass, but record a real acoustic guitar, ok?
If you change tempo afterwards the drums and bass will conform but the guitar will not.

You can use elastic audio to make a wave recording change duration but
A: It's manual only as far as I know
B: I wouldn't bother if you're changing more than a few BPM.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm attaching a pic to illustrate better my situation. I've dragged wav drum samples into my sessions many times and as I said, sometimes they adjust and sometime they don't and I can't figure the reasoning behind. I turned 'conductor' on and off but that doesn't make a difference either.
timing_puzzle.jpg

This is new to me, but I just found this article.
I tested it out and sure enough, it imports audio having stretch it to conform to the session tempo.

Go through window>workspace> then click the motronome button and drag your files in (as shown in the link).

Maybe that'll help.

EDIT. WOW. Thanks for asking this question.lol.

Apparently you can turn elastic audio on for a track then right click a region and select 'conform to tempo'.
What's more, if you change the tempo later, it'll re adjust the waves so they still match.

That kicks ass! :p

Wow wow wow! THAT did it. Thank you so so much. I never used 'workspace' before and as I said I didn't even know how I did.
Really great to know!

Thank you again, Karl

Back