Pro Tools LE VS M-Powered

not Mboxes....M-Powered only runs on certain M-Audio hardware units. While LE runs only on Digidesign LE units.

M-Powered also does not offer support for the DV toolkit, the Command 8 or Control 24 surfaces. Also not offered is the Digitranslator add-on.

When it comes to audio they are functionally the same. Both use the same plug-ins, both can be upgraded with the Music Production Toolkit, etc. M-Powered does not do video, at least not well... only quicktime I believe. So if you're going to do video, then LE is your choice. IMHO M-Powered's strength is in the number of interfaces you have to choose from, M-Audio has 20+ interface products which are compatible with M-Powered as opposed to the 8 or so that LE has to choose from. Exception here is the MBox Micro, which apparently is compatible with both systems. As benny pointed out LE has command 8, 003 and control 24 control surfaces, whereas M-Powered only has the ProjectMix I/O and Digitranslator is not an M-Powered option. LE is usually bundled with hardware, where M-Powered is usually sold seperately (although I think some vendors are bundling it with M-Audio hardware).

Really depends on what you're requirements are, home based only, mobile recording, and budget.... do some research and get what best suits you.

I recently moved from LE to M-powered. My Digi hardware was always picky with my system and other applications, whereas my M-Audio 410 works awesome with everything else (Sony Vegas Pro, IE, Quicktime, Windows Media, etc.).

I'm very happy I made the switch to M. If you're doing video, you're better off using a video editor anyway like Sony Vegas, or whatever else.

No, Sony Vegas Pro for video editing.

Why would you think I use Sony Vegas for audio if I am running Pro Tools 7.4?

just confused as to why you brought up Sony Vegas then. Since no one was talking about video editing.

but I guess then you're right. if you're going to edit video, you probably should use something like Vegas. Since Pro Tools doesn't edit video
Just like you should probably use Photoshop instead of Microsoft Excel to edit your pictures. Or use Quicken to manage your money instead of Minesweeper ;)

M-Powered does not do video, at least not well... only quicktime I believe. So if you're going to do video, then LE is your choice.

No one was talking about video? It was pointed out as a difference between LE and M, that's why I brought it up. :)

No one was talking about video? It was pointed out as a difference between LE and M, that's why I brought it up. :)

well, he wasn't talking about editing video (i'm assuming). Cause you can't do that in LE or M-Powered...or HD
I think he was just pointing out that audio for video is weaker in M-Powered than it is in LE (although his Quicktime statement was confusing)

well, he wasn't talking about editing video (i'm assuming). Cause you can't do that in LE or M-Powered...or HD
I think he was just pointing out that audio for video is weaker in M-Powered than it is in LE (although his Quicktime statement was confusing)

lol. fair enough. yes, quicktime statement was a bit confusing. rock on!

Well, in a nutshell, LE is better for post production because you can get the dv toolkit that lets you do cool things like editing in frames as opposed to bars/beats, samples, time.

If you're not into doing post, m-powered gives you a larger base of interfaces to choose from, and because of this, can end up being cheaper.

Back