Pro Tools issue: won't load up

asurademon

I have Pro Tools LE 7 with an Mbox2, running on Windows XP. I've had it for a few years, and have had very few problems with it. Well now for some reason whenever it is loading and gets to the point where it says "DAE loaded" Pro Tools freezes (I get a not responding message) and the light on the mbox 2 goes off. It does this every single time now. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools, I tried updating the driver, and no luck.

Last edited:
i stole this post from another forum.

it details removing preference files.

i don't think these are removed when you uninstall/reinstall pro tools..

"I got it fixed by doing the following:
How do I delete preferences and trash databases in Windows Vista?

To delete Pro Tools preference files in Windows Vista:
1. Go to your Start menu and click on Computer
2. Double-click on the C: drive or whichever drive you installed Pro Tools to
3. Double-click on Program Files
4. Go to the Common Files folder
5. Go to the Digidesign folder
6. Go to the DAE folder
7. Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete it
8. Close the window and repeat the above steps 1 and 2 to get back to your C: drive
9. Double-click on Users
10. Double-click on your user name
11. Go to the AppData folder
NOTE: If the Appdata is not showing, click on Organize and choose 'Folder and Search Options'. Click on the View tab. Select 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'. Click Apply and OK. AppData should now be viewable.
12. Go to the Roaming folder
13. Right-click on the Digidesign folder and delete it

To delete Digidesign Database folders for all hard drives in Windows Vista:
1. Go to your Start menu and click on Computer
2. Double-click on the C: drive
3. Right-click on the Digidesign Databases folder and delete
4. Repeat for all hard drives (or partitions)
5. Close the window and repeat the above steps 1 and 2 to get back to your C: drive
6. Double-click on Program Files
7. Go to the Digidesign folder
8. Go to the Pro Tools folder
9. Right-click on the Databases folder and delete it
NOTE: If you are using DV Toolkit 2, you will want to backup your Catalogs folder before deleting the Databases folder."

many people suggest removing all plugins temporarily to see if one of those is causing a problem, but i'd trash the prefs first.

good luck.

EDIT

Thanks. I think I may have found the folders and files I need to, however I'm using a different OS from the one in those directions (I'm using XP), and I'm pretty sure those directions are for a different version of Pro Tools (I don't think LE 7 even works in Vista), but I'll try it out and see if it works.

fair enough, might be slightly different, but it should be close enough,,

if not give it a quick google...there are plenty of places with guides for xp (probably digidesign website)

good luck!

All right, so I tried following those directions, and it had no affect. I uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools again, and no affect.

Also tried updating from Sp2 to Sp3, and updating various drivers...that didn't do any good either.

Could this be a USB problem?

One of my USB cards got screwed up (no I'm not using the messed up one). But could having one screwed up possibly interfere with the others?
I would just remove it, but my computer case is really cluttered and hard to work with.

Last edited:
if you think it's gona be a hardware problem, there's nothing you can do but bite the bullet and find out...

with all due respect, i'd have done that before even posting :P

if you want to be thorough, uninstall protools,

then manually remove the preference files and plugins if any are left,

then shutdown,

remove the suspected faulty device.

unplug anything that isn't essential for boot, like usb hard drives, iloks,,,,anything at all

start up the pc

reinstall protools,

and if it doesn't work hopefully someone else will chime in with a suggestion...

hope this helps you!

Unfortunately the way my computer case is set up removing the faulty hardware would be a real big pain, it would be necessary to remove a whole lot of other things just to get to the USB, and the case is a hard to work with cluttered up mess. This is why I prefer home built PCs...I've found them to generally be so much easier to deal with in so many ways.

Fortunately I was able to solve the problem without removing any hardware, I found out that wasn't the issue. What had happened (and I feel a bit silly now for overlooking this issue, which was actually really simple to fix) I had installed a new hard drive into my computer a while ago, and then installed Pro Tools. Well it ran fine for a while, but then this started happening. Well the issue was I had forgot that I hadn't yet installed the firmware updates along with Pro Tools.

I installed my firmware updates, and problem solved (well at least it seems to be, time will tell).
Hopefully someone else finds this solution useful. Simple things like this can unfortunately be easy to overlook sometimes.

Back