Pro-tools compatibility issue...

Goss-stick

So couple days ago I upgraded my old 2008 iMac into a new iMac. Once I finally reinstalled all my programs I was getting an error message that PT won't import audio into any sessions. As I looked further into it, bottom line PT 11 and OS X El Capitan isn't compatible smh.

I already tried to go back from EL Capitan to OS X Yosemite but since my computer is new and came with El Capitan then thats the only version it will be able to install in it. Another alternative is upgrading and purchasing PT 12 for another $299. To be honest, besides the waste of $299 I don't want to upgrade for the simple fact I haven't been too happy with the way Avid been doing their products lately. To me last few years it seems you spend more $ with them but their products only go so far. Meaning as PT came with no versions you lost your plug-ins, or now my command 8 won't work with newer PT versions.

Did anyone deal with this issue already or is going through it now? And if so, what did you do? Are there any other alternatives?

Hey,
I guess the problem is that you run the installer and it tells you it can't upgrade 'cos you're on a newer version already?
If that's the case I'd download the installer and burn it to a DVD or pop it on a USB stick, then boot from it.

That way it's not running from within an OS and it won't perform version checks.
Well...it will, but you'll be able to format your main OS drive and then carry on. :)

This is a super long shot but you might be able to boot the new iMac in target disk mode against the old iMac, then install the OS from the old one.
If you don't know already, target disk mode basically lets one mac see another mac as an external hard drive.
It's a theory.....but I bet it'd work. ;)
Same deal - format the new drive before trying to install.

Back