pro tools 9 work on windows 8?

yeah i saw that, but then I also saw a you tube vid of a guy runnin g it on win 8...........BUT i have yet to anything else.
I found a Dell with an i7-4500? is that okay?

yeah i saw that, but then I also saw a you tube vid of a guy runnin g it on win 8...........BUT i have yet to anything else.
I found a Dell with an i7-4500? is that okay?

There's a long history of unsupported setups 'working', but there's an equally long history of glitches and unpredictable activity.
AVID wash their hands of you if you go down this road, not that their customer support is worth a pish anyway! :p

Personally, from experience, I'd just aim to comply with their guidelines.

The Dell- I can't really say. Avid keep a list of supported motherboards and chipsets.
I never paid it any heed but it'd be a good place to look if you're buying a new machine.

I've never had a machine that didn't agree with ProTools, as long as I made sure the software/OS was all compatible.

Again, just because AVID don't verify a chipset doesn't mean it wont work, but it's very much your risk.

according to their list...not very many. I have a cjeap Acer that I have it working on right now and it works well but I think i'm getting maxed now because I'm at 26 tracks and started adding a few plugins. It's starting to hicup.

Here are a few tips to squeeze more out of your system. Forgive me if I'm patronising you with any of these.

Do you know what the buffer size settings are?
Lower settings give better latency but work the machine harder.
Higher settings give higher latency, which doesn't matter when you're mixing, and go easy on system resources.

Also take a look at the settings for cpu % use and no. of processors in use in Setup>Playback engine.
It's better to set no. of processors to one less than you have. Eg, 3 out of 4.
Set the percentage somewhere shy of the top....85% maybe?
Seems like it wouldn't help, but it does.

There are a few other things you can do to keep things smooth. Do you keep your plugin instances low?
Ie. Instead of having four reverb plugins, just have one on an aux track and send all your stuff to it.

Is your session on an external drive? It should be. Most laptops have 5400RPM drives which aren't ideal.

Are you using elastic audio? Turn it off and commit to your changes once you're done. That saves massive resources!

I'm sure there are more tips but maybe these ones will help. :)

I knew a few of them but not all of them... And no worries about patronizing... Bottom line is your trying to help and I am very grateful. I didn't know about the procesors. I have 2 so I guess I'll put that to 1.
I just used a 16gb thumb drive and moved the file over. That seemed to help alot.... Can you explain the elastic audio?
This could be what you're taking about..... I noticed on the regions list every take is there... does this have anything to do with that?????

I knew a few of them but not all of them... And no worries about patronizing... Bottom line is your trying to help and I am very grateful.

Super. :)

I just used a 16gb thumb drive and moved the file over. That seemed to help alot....
Are you running the session from the thumb drive? They usually have pretty slow read/write speeds so a proper usb connected hard drive would be a better long term solution.

Can you explain the elastic audio?
This could be what you're taking about..... I noticed on the regions list every take is there... does this have anything to do with that?????

Certainly.
It's a built in tool which analyses your audio and allows you to make time or pitch corrections.
It can be turned on/off on a per-track basis.
It's entirely possible that your PT setup turns it on by default for every audio track, which would be massively intensive whether you're actually using it or not.

If you go to your edit view window and look down the left side (track names, solo, mute record etc) you might see a thin box that says 'polyphonic', 'monophonic' or something like that.
It's right behind the word 'none' in this picture.

poly, mono etc are all different algorithms, but basically they all mean 'on'.

Pro_Tools_elastic_audio_track_header_menu_.png

If it's on for all your tracks, set it to 'none' then look for the 'automatically enable elastic audio' option in PT preferences and untick it.

The thumb drive is temporary. I thought it would be better than an external drive because there are no moving parts? External drives are 5400rpm too?no?
I will check the elastic audio next chance I get. Thanks.

Last edited:
The thumb drive is temporary. I thought it would be better than an external drive because there are no moving parts? External drives are 5400rpm too?no?

Not necessarily. Your average 3.5" computer HDD is 7200RPM.
Solid state is becoming more common, but you gota pay a lot more for it.
5400 is the common speed for 2.5" drives in laptops, mac minis etc.

Yes, thumb drives have no moving parts, but they're usually not designed for speed. I duno, maybe you have a good one?

I will check the elastic audio next chance I get. Thanks.

Sweet. No problem.

So the elastic audio is set to none.

What about all the track in the region list. Does that use up resources? I don't really use them at all. How do I get rid of the one that are not in use?

I don't think it matters too much, but you can clear unused files if you like.
I generally don't until I have the entire session finished.

There's a dropdown menu at the right hand side of the edit window, above the region list.
Click->select->all unused.
Click-> Delete.

Hint: If you hold control when confirming, Protools wont ask you to confirm for every file.

Great thanks that worked out well. It doesn't do anything like you said for resources buy at least it's a smaller file that I have to store. The error I get one in a while is the 9073. I switched from the thumb drive to the external HD but I didn't notice a difference.

Great thanks that worked out well. It doesn't do anything like you said for resources buy at least it's a smaller file that I have to store. The error I get one in a while is the 9073. I switched from the thumb drive to the external HD but I didn't notice a difference.

1073 is a common, but seemingly non-specific, error.
It says PT can't get audio to/from the disk fast enough, but PT says a lot of things. :facepalm:

All I can recommend is just sifting through the pages and pages of desperate user conversations to see if anything helps you.

Lol. Yes I have done so much of that and countless hours on you tube. I don'tknowhow i would have gotten through this learning curve with out it

Back