Pro Tools 9 input monitoring

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Not sure if it's Pro Tools causing the issue or my interface (Tascam US-1800), but here's the deal:

When I have a mic (or whatever) plugged into my outboard mic pre amp, then run the pre amp into one of the line inputs on my interface (the line inputs bypass the Tascam pre-amps), the audio signal is always present. There is a nob where I can toggle how much I want of the "input" audio coming out of the speakers vs. how much I want of the "Computer" audio coming out.

Let's say I'm tracking bass direct (through the chain I explained above) and I want the level of the bass track I am recording to be lower in volume than the play-along track coming from the computer while I record. Even if turn the knob fully to "Computer" (in attempt to not hear what I am recording as much or at all) I can still hear the input level loud and clear.

Is there something I can adjust in pro tools for this? Because the interface sure doesn't seem to be able to do it properly with it's one simple knob. Turning the fader down on that track in PT9 while recording also doesn't seem to do it. Level is still loud and clear.

Hey there.

Ordinarily, turning that knob to input will give direct monitoring. Software is out of the loop.
Setting it to computer means your sound goes through your daw before you hear it, so you get effects, fader volume control, and latency.

As you say, setting the knob to computer and turning the fader down in protools should reduce the volume of the bass, but if it isn't it makes me wonder if you have a 'low latency monitoring' option set in ProTools?

If that's what it is, it'll be under the 'options' menu.
Untick it and report back, if you don't mind.

Also, look beside your mute/solo/record arm buttons in the edit window. If there's a green button called something to do with monitoring, uncheck it.

Hey there.

Ordinarily, turning that knob to input will give direct monitoring. Software is out of the loop.
Setting it to computer means your sound goes through your daw before you hear it, so you get effects, fader volume control, and latency.

As you say, setting the knob to computer and turning the fader down in protools should reduce the volume of the bass, but if it isn't it makes me wonder if you have a 'low latency monitoring' option set in ProTools?

If that's what it is, it'll be under the 'options' menu.
Untick it and report back, if you don't mind.

Also, look beside your mute/solo/record arm buttons in the edit window. If there's a green button called something to do with monitoring, uncheck it.

Ok thanks, will do. I'm tracking more tonight so I'll let you know what I find!

EDIT: Tracking was cancelled last night. Tracking rescheduled to Monday. Stand by.

Last edited:
Back