Pro Tools 11 with older Mac

jfossmo

I am new to the Pro Tools world and am concerned about my Mac working with this version. I have read the requirements on Avid's website, and according to the list, I would have to buy a brand new iMac to run the program. I cannot afford a new Mac as I just bought mine last year. Has anyone run version 11 on an older Mac? If so, what problems, if any have you encountered? My Mac has an i3 processor at 3.7 mgHz and i believe the version is 11,2 running Mavericks. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,
Have you seen this grid?

For what it's worth, I've just discovered that my Mac Pro and Mac book pro aren't 'qualified' machines.
They are 2010 12core and 2012 i5 models.

Avid test and qualify certain devices and stand over that with support.
Because a machine isn't qualified doesn't mean it won't work just fine - It means they won't offer support for it.

The majority of PC PT11 users are running unqualified hardware whether they realise it or not.
It's just much easier to spot with apple because the product line is much smaller than what's available for MS OS.

The best bet is probably to google for people using your exact model with PT11.
Don't trust some idiot who installed it last night and says it 'works'. Look for someone who has been running that setup for a while.

Good luck. :)

PS: Do avid still offer 30 day demos on PT11? Might be worth a google if you have an ilok 2.

Last edited:
Back