Pro Tools 10 vs. Student Edition

way95

Hello guys,

I'm curious what the differences are between the regular Pro tools ten and the Pro Tools 10 Student Addition. I noticed that the Student Addition is less than $300; what are the reasons>

Wow! Would that run fine my computer that has only 2GB ram if I basically wiped it of everything else and installed Windows 7?

I have no way of knowing that.

Look up avid's website. There's bound to be a minimum requirements bit on there somewhere.

FWIW, i paid £80 for Pro Tools 9 student discount crossgrade.

It was exactly the same as PT9 off the shelf at £3/400 or whatever it was at the time.

Wow! Would that run fine my computer that has only 2GB ram if I basically wiped it of everything else and installed Windows 7?

Ram is cheap. 4GB+ is better. 64-bit Windows 7 OEM is $100. Minimum requirements are based on the ability to just run software. It does not mean that you will get good performance. One thing I have found as fact in recording, overkill in system specs is a savior for workflow. I spent a year trying to get a crappy computer to work, when I could have been honing my mixing skills. Budget dependent, try to make sure you have the power to use your gear. Otherwise, your time is wasted trying to fix things.

Just my thoughts......:D

Thanks for your help! I do also have another computer that has three GB ram which I could consider using; the only problem is it is still using Windows XP which I understand that Pro Tools only works with Windows 7.

But, I don't intent to buy the Pro Tools Student Edition till I find someone who is willing to pay me to do audio work for them. If, of course, I could find a good opportunity like that I could always keep on the look out for a used Apple Macbook, which would probably be the best way of going...

You might be able to find an older version of ProTools. I used ProTools M-Powered 7 with Windows XP and it's been running great for YEARS. I try and not use my studio computer for much else though. It's a dedicated recording machine.

This might not be the right thread to post on but I recently upgraded my Mac and none of my old software will work so I'm now going to invest in some brand new gear to cheer me up.

I've always used pro tools but recently I've been toying with Logic and I think i'm going to get that instead.. I mainly record band/rock type music but with your experience what would you advise?

Thanks

You should really start a new thread with a title,

but the answers probably gonna be us whichever one you prefer.
There's not a lot between them.

My guess is that it might run but not well.

I had Pro Tools 8LE running on an iMac that's from 2008 and has only 2gig Ram. It seemed OK, but I was only doing simple things on it. I've since upgraded to PT 10 and I now regularly get pop ups telling me that it's running low on memory. And all I'm doing with it is using it for reference learning as I work through some exercises and a manual.

My other machine (the one that I actually use for recording now) is more recent and has 4Gig Ram. No messages. But once I start loading it up with more tracks, more plug-ins running etc I'm sure that more ram again will be useful. So I'm planning to double it anyway. Good luck with it.

No difference, well it's actually better I received 4 years free upgrades with mine and only cost £240!

Remember though you need to actually be a student in education and show proof to be able to purchase it :) hope that helps.

Back