Pro Tool v7.4 editing voice leaves ticks sometimes

jbcampo

Hi all. I started voiceovers in 2008 with PTv7.4. After a few years, I gave up, but have revived doing voice work this year thanks to Amazon ACX.

I do my own production editing/mastering with PT. In a track, many times when I select a portion of the track to cut and delete, or to move elsewhere, or to insert silence, the newly inserted region, at the border edges of where I cut or pasted, leaves a tick sound. I replay the general region and hear this tick sound. I go back over the region edge to cut off more, and eventually, I get the tick to disappear.

Am I doing something wrong, or have I set something wrong in my setup that leaves these tick sounds sometimes? It's very annoying and adds a lot of work to my QC checks.

I would appreciate advice from you PT users. thank you.

You need to manually add fades or crossfades. Or bail on PT and get something else that does that kind of editing more efficiently. Sony Vegas automatically adds a 10ms fade at all edits and it makes crossfading super fast and easy. I believe Reaper also behaves in a similar way.

Yes I cross fade every comp / clip in Sonar because it does the same "tick" thing if I don't.

Surely a preferences setting will do the trick?!?!

I don't think there's an automatic setting, but you can select many regions on the timeline and just hit F to apply default fade, which is way quicker than region by region.

I mean, really you could select-all and hit fade. Shouldn't do anything but good.

Last edited:
Back