Pro Tool LE or Pro Tool M-Power

Motif_Man

I am looking to buy Pro Tools but I am confused on which one to buy can anyone help me with this?: confused:

I would have a Pro Tools LE information link for you...but our site is down.

However, Pro Tools LE only works (and is included) with Digidesign LE gear. Pro Tools M-Powered only works (and is NOT included) with certain M-Powered gear. Most of the features are the same...there are only a few things that M-Powered doesn't offer that LE does.

M-powered doesn't have DV Toolkit. Also M-Powered doesn't offer the Low Latency Recording feature LE has. (So, when recording just mute the performer.) The benefit to M-Powered is the choice of audio interfaces. Check out m-audio.com and see what interfaces would best fit your needs and are pro-tools m-powered capable. Most of them are though.

M-powered doesn't have DV Toolkit. Also M-Powered doesn't offer the Low Latency Recording feature LE has. (So, when recording just mute the performer.) The benefit to M-Powered is the choice of audio interfaces. Check out m-audio.com and see what interfaces would best fit your needs and are pro-tools m-powered capable. Most of them are though.
Thanks that really help....

M-powered gets annoying later on when you need more inputs. With LE, I believe you can link together multiple input cards (correct me if I'm wrong, please), but with M-powered, you're always limited to one card. I'm sure they just do that so you have to spend a ton to get more than 8 inputs... Other than that, M-powered is a cheaper place to start.

My two cents for what it's worth as a newbie with PT is that it depends on what you are doing with it. I'm a home recorder writing my own material. I don't plan on recording drum tracks or a live band at home so I don't think I would ever need more than two inputs. If however you are looking at becoming a professional engineer then mulitple input capabilities would be important.

Rusty K

Seriously? That's lame, but good to know. Now I'm even happier to be going to Reaper...

On the other hand, M-audio does have that ProFire Lightbridge thing that would let you have up to 32 inputs. If you have a ton of money, anyway.

So I'm a little bit confused on this. Do you need the Lightbridge to record more than 8 tracks at once or just more than 8 all together?

Edit: I'm a noob when it comes to pro-tools (I don't actually own it yet), so I'm not sure what the track/input relationship is.

Last edited:
First thing you need to do is determine what you are planning on doing and how many inputs you are going 2 need. Just a fyi, a buddy of mine has an mbox 1 which only has 2 inputs but when he records his band, he uses an external mixer which has like 12 inputs he runs all of the mics into it. and then goes out from that mixer and into the mbox. Mind you that solution is not the best thing to do for beginners because you have to make sure that the sound is what you want before going into protools because you can't record individual instraments on separate tracks that way.

M-powered gets annoying later on when you need more inputs. With LE, I believe you can link together multiple input cards (correct me if I'm wrong, please), but with M-powered, you're always limited to one card.

The only way to link together multiple cards in protools is if you are using a Protools HD or TDM. A nice feature in Protools HD is that you can use old 888 to link them with the 96i/o or whatever, 888's sound really good and are far cheaper than any HD interface

M-powered lets you run up to 32 simultanious inputs through however many devices you need that are compatible, and its expandable to 48 with the production toolkit. In our studio we currently run 24 inputs over 3 Delta 1010lt cards all the time. Easy setup for around $1k.

Back