Panning a track when outputting to a bus

wreckd504

I was watching mix it like a record, and I noticed a lot of the time he has the tracks panned and the output set to a bus. On my system (PT LE 7.1) when I set the tracks output to a bus, my panning slider disappears. Anyone know if there is an option I haven't checked, or is this a TDM feature?

you can't pan a mono track unless it's going to a stereo source...for example your speakers (Main outs 1-2). Panning is a stereo effect. If you change a mono track to go out a mono bus you lose the ability to use that effect. Think of the bus as just an extension of your mono track. It's just taking that mono signal and putting it somewhere else. It's the resulting track that you should look to for panning.

Now if you want to KEEP panning on your mono track, change the bus output to a STEREO bus. Of course the resulting track you are going to (either aux or audio track) needs to be a stereo track with a stereo bus input.

yup I agree, however when I change the output of my mono track to a stereo bus, bussing to a stereo aux chanel I get nothing out of the right channel. I also noticed that when I select the input it only appears as bus 3 for example, not bus 3-4. But in the output I get the choice of bus 3-4. It's like you can't set the input to have a stereo input.

This is what i'm trying to achieve i.e. bussing a mono track to a stereo aux track with its panning. Sorry about the poor quality pic (screen shot from media player), but you can make out how he has his bus's set up, and that he is getting a signal on a stereo aux track. I get nothing out of the right channel.

milar-dye1.jpg

This is where i'm at

mypt2.jpg

mypt1.jpg

Its gotta be something simple i'm screwing up.

Last edited:
do you have any plugins on the aux track yet?

man....i'm such a simple guy sometimes. I had a stereo plugin on the aux track that made it a stereo track, when in fact it was a mono aux track with a stereo plug on it. Created a stereo aux and the stereo bus inputs became available.

All is well in the cosmos....THANKS BENNY!!

figured that's what it was ;)

yep. mono/stereo plugins give you a stereo output and Digi changes the track to have two meters on it....so it kind of gives you a false impression that it's a stereo aux when in fact it's only a mono one.

Back