One long session into several sessions?

fishkarma

Alrighty, It's been a while since I've been here, busy with college and no internet!

any way I saw a great band playing the other week and noticed a second year recording it, due to this I managed to get hold of the multitracks (though badly clipped- used RX to repair them and their actually useable!!!) any who, I basically have multi tracks that are about 30min long and not chopped into several tracks so I want to basically highlight a region (much like to bounce but not as stereo) and turn it into a session with only the needed parts in each so I can mix the songs seperatly!!!

in a nutshell I want to seperate one long session into tracks as a session per track!

Did I make sense? I usually don't! does any body know how to do this??? It would be handy out if ye did!:D

i record hole albums as one session (because it's just faster) then break them into songs when mixing.

as far as i know, there's no good way to go about it.

i do 3 "save as" so it's like
file 1
file 2
file 3

then using file 3 only, i cut all songs but the one i want, then do a save as (song name)
then open file 3 again (you may have to auto regenerate fade each time, i don't know why.... screw them)
and repeat.

if you fuck up go to file 2, and save as file 3.

opening a new session for each song seems stupid to me, and i also do some basic mixing, eq, aux routing, reverb choices (where settings will apply across the board) before breaking into single songs.
in the end it's much faster then opening templates and importing mix settings.

there should be a better solution for this, but i'm not sure there is.

Thanks for the reply!
I would do it that way too but would it not end up having 3 times the data in each session due to non destructive recording (due to having 2 songs in data there but the computer saying to PT to only play one)? I have fuck all space left and wanna keep as much possible free!

if it were me, I'd just save them as different sessions...that helps keep things organized. even though it might take a bit longer to create the session during the recording process, in the end I just think it's more organized that way for the mix/edit process.

If I HAD to record everything into one session and break them out from there, I would do it one of two ways. If they were the same instruments on each song, I could use different playlists for each different song. That's the down and dirty way to do it.
OR...record each song back to back, using markers to help me remember where each song was. Then when I was done, close the session...open a new session and import the session data from that old one and delete what I didn't need.
OR...record each song back to back, using markers again, and use Save Session Copy In. The big difference between this and the Save Session As is you can copy audio/fade files so that they move with the session. That's the important thing you want to do...keep the audio files you recorded WITH the session they belong to. If you just did what giraffe suggested and later did something stupid like "delete unused regions" from that session...it would remove the audio files from all other session too because they all reference the same folder. But if you did a Save Session Copy In and copied all the audio files, you would have several different sessions for each song and all with the same audio in them. Then you can just go through, delete the songs on the time line that you didn't need at the time, and do a delete unused regions command.

I hope this make sense...it does in my head :p
There are a hundred different ways to do one thing in PT.

I hear ya man!
I would make a copy of each session not use the same folder for all.
Can I destructivly cut audio in protools I.e delete stuff I saved a copy of in other sessions so in essence I have a track 8 min long and its 2 songs = say 2gb can I wipe this destructively so the audio files in the Audio folder is turned into one track thats only 4 min long eaquiling one song = 1gb (and obviously doing that twice would leave two sessions with one song in each and the exact same amount of data as their both missing half a session)?

Damn this is hard to explain!

yes. by deleting unused regions from the disc.
So if you have two songs...start with recording your session. then using the Save Session Copy In command copy that session to a completely different place on your hard drive...and choose "copy all audio files." Then on that first session get rid of the second song and then go to the second session and get rid of the first song. Then if you go to the region menu of each session and choose "select unused regions" anything that is NOT in the timeline is selected in the regions bin. Then you can just choose "remove selected" from the same menu and tell it to delete the regions. THEY WILL BE DELETED PERMANENTLY AND YOU CAN'T UNDO THIS. So don't accidentally delete something you need. This is why I said it's important to COPY the files with the new sessions.

again, I hope this makes a little bit of sense

Right! thats exactly what I wanted to do man!
yeah I understand it will delete stuff permenently I have a copy of the WAVs any way so I can be careless enough! though if I didn't I would be so feckin' careful it would boarder on paronoia!

Sound

Back