New To Protools

Dani Pace

I've been around recording for a while (other programs and computers) and just recently switched over to a Mac, digi interface and Protools. It's a new learning experience for me. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about things I should avoid or things I can expect. I've done some decent recordings with other programs but I'm a newb at working with both Mac and with Protools. Any advice to help my understanding will be appreciated.

don't have punch record on in less your punch recording. if you do it will record on every record enabled track wether you want it or not and save in your region's list. this could take up a lot of space.

don't have punch record on in less your punch recording. if you do it will record on every record enabled track wether you want it or not and save in your region's list. this could take up a lot of space.

why would you record enable a track then if you don't want to record on that track?
I'm always in quick punch mode. It makes jumping between playback and recording much faster. That and Pro Tools stores data off to the side even if you are just playing back during a punch in....so you can trim back the region in case you punch in too late or something.

Really with today's hard drive sizes (and with the ability to delete unused regions) I never think about how much data I'm writing to disk...unless we're talking about higher sample rates.

I have just seen a lot of people new to pro tools do this. if you play back the song and forget to disable the record armed track with auto input ,or what ever thats called, every time you lessen to the track or tracks you'v recorded you will be rerecording nothing to your region list. i gess if you have lots of space don't worry about it but if you use PT with a laptop and no external drive it could slow you down.

Punch record is great but it can take up space if you dont watch out. also you could delete unused regions but sometimes i record several takes of drums and wont always know if i am done using my unused regions tell the final mix down. It saves space and time.

just trying to help

Back