Needing advice for The MOST basic acoustic recording

Mandolin4Jesus

Hello--

I posted before with some questions and problems I was/am having with Protools 8 LE

Here is my setup: Lenovo ideapad laptop
Mbox Mini 3
Condensor microphone
A guitar
A mandolin

Pretty basic stuff. This is what I've been doing :
1. New Session
2. Add some tracks-- mono track, audio track, samples.
3. Arm and record the first track. I am wanting to record ALL tracks through the mic that is plugged into the XLR on the Mbox.

This is where I am confused.... when I disarm the first track and arm the second to record, I hear NOTHING through the microphone. Also what I have been noticing is that If I skip to the third audio track and try to record through that, I hear the mic and see a signal but what I am hearing is like a reverb or something.

I just want to record and mix tracks--- a guitar, a mandolin, and a vocal. One microphone. That's it. Please, how do i do this!! :facepalm:

Thank you for your help

Each track has an input and an output.

Whatever your first track is set to works, so set the second and third etc to the same I/O

By default, if you create a handful of tracks in ProTools, it will assign sequential inputs.
IE, input one for track one, input two for track two etc.

Each track has an input and an output.

Whatever your first track is set to works, so set the second and third etc to the same I/O

By default, if you create a handful of tracks in ProTools, it will assign sequential inputs.
IE, input one for track one, input two for track two etc.

Thank you--that makes sense. I was wondering if this wasn't what protools was "thinking" as well, but If I create say three tracks right away and two is "no sound, no signal" and why is it that track 3 is "reverbed sound, signal"?

Also, how do I assign each track's I/O?

And, should I be creating the master fader track at the start or wait until I create and record on all tracks.

Thank you for consistently offering your help Steenamaroo---it takes me awhile sometimes before I arrive at that "aha" moment. I appreciate your input and knowledge bro. Blessings!

No problem at all.

In the mix window (windows>mix window) you should see your three channel strips.
Bottom to top is faders,solo/mute/record,automation, output, input, sends, and inserts.

www.steenaudio.com/1.png
www.steenaudio.com/2.png

I've red circled the Inputs section. Change that to whatever the first track is set to.

Honestly, I don't know why track three would sound reverberated. What is the input and output set to?
Can you take a screen dump like the one I did?

Last edited:
Back