Thread: Need help Getting Back up to speed after a long hiatus from recording

Thanks

Need help Getting Back up to speed after a long hiatus from recording

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello all,
    After working in the industry and exiting to more normal 9-5 work I completly walked away from recording about 10 years ago. I am looking to get back to recording/engineering and need some assistance navigating the changes to ProTools.

I used to have a 003r and all the AIR virtual instruments. I liked the setup at the time and would like a similar setup without breaking the bank. I used to get deals as a certified user but they ended that a while back. I currently have an ELEVEN rack and no software. I have an old dual CPU Xeon workstation I was going to try out as my workstation.

I see like everything else the subscription model is in full force with ProTools. Is it better to find an older version on ebay/craigslist or just bite the Bullet and get a subscription? Do the AIR virtual instraments still exist? I definitly do not need the latest and greatest software but am having trouble figuring out where that tipping point is of "too old" to "not current but still works fine".

I am sure a lot of this has been covered so feel free to just link me to appropriate threads if you know where to find them.

Thanks

Thanks
    duc.avid.com
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    I have ProTools 12.8 and love it. I've only had it for a year though, so I'm not sure what it was like 10 years ago. I think it cost me $600, with a year of free upgrades, which just expired, I'm considering renewing just in case. It came with all the Air plugins, but I never really use them, as I almost exclusively use Waves and Slate. I do like the ProTools EQ for subtractive EQ, but the Waves and Slate stuff for adding. I like the ProTools Lo-fi sometimes for a smidge of grit. The SansAmp that comes with it is also nice, but the standard ProTools D-Verb is a little grainy and chorusy for my taste, but it has it's place occasionally.

The AirXpand virtual instrument pack, and a few other synths came with it as well, and I do use those quite a bit, they sound pretty good for basic synth stuff that I'm too lazy to hook up my actual Yamaha keyboard for...
    Pro Tools 12.7 - Superior Drummer 2.0 - Sound Forge Pro 10

Thanks
    Hey VanAmp,
    How set are you on ProTools? I use it myself so I'm not knocking it at all, but if you have no ties there are cheaper/non-subscription DAWs you could consider.

Also, not sure if you're aware or not but ProTools no longer requires you to have their hardware; That's as of version 9.
    If you're stuck on PT but don't want the subscription charges, you could probably find a store selling old versions....9/10/11 with lifetime license, then use any suitable interface; Something from Tascam, for example.

I use a firestudio mobile with Protools 12.5.2 but I'm not on their subscription plan so I'll be staying there until there's no choice.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thread Information