Need Help!

Johnnie K.

This is my problem...

I'm using Vista, I have Pro Tools 7.4 and Reason 3.0 install. When playing back beats from Reason with the monitors hooked to the stock soundcard, I can hear everything I play. Now, I went out and bought some TRS cables so I can hook the monitors to the MBox 2 and now I can't hear anything from Reason. I was hearing it has something to do with the ASIO but I can't figure that out either.

I'm lost on this one.

Yeah, Vista is weird and I'm getting frustrated. Everything was working the way I had it the first time but now I need to make the MBox 2 my primary soundcard and I can't figure this out.

In reason, whats the "audio card driver" set to under edit>preferences>audio page ? and is there a green tick or a red cross?

theres your problem, the driver isn't loading for some reason. If you change it to one of the other options does it go green? Or switch to another then switch back?

Last edited:
I switched it back to my stock soundcard but I need the MBox to be my primary soundcard in order to use PT because I'm getting no sound from that either.

Do you have protools open AND reason open when you're trying to switch to the mbox? I'm not sure, but it seems like you probably wouldn't be allowed to do that for some reason.

OR

See what happens if you run Reason in rewire mode (open protools, create an aux track, put a reason insert plugin on it and open reason up.

Your right, if you have pro tools open you won't be able to change drivers in reason. But from the sounds of it there is no sound from pro tools either?

So when you switch it to your stock soundcard it works (green tick) and when you change it back to the mbox it doesn't (red cross)?

Does the mbox work in pro tools at the moment, maybe the drivers haven't been installed properly. Device manager is the same in vista as it is in xp. Right click My Computer, and select Manage. Then, from the Computer Management window, select Device Manager.

Check if any devices have exclamation points next to them, if so you need to re-install the drivers.

http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support/docs/70/Getting Started Mbox 2.pdf

page 12, follow it to the letter. Especially point 3, otherwise it won't work. I earn a few clams doing page 12 for people :)

If you're going to re-install, make sure you uninstall all digidesign related programs and start clean.

Last edited:
I just bought the full version of 7.4, I'm going to reformat my PC and reinstall everything over. I just bought an external hard drive so I can save all my files. I think something wasn't installed properly. I didn't have both applications open at the same time. Like, I even imported a midi file from Reason into Pro Tools and it still didn't give me a sound. I'll just reinstall everything and let y'all know what happens.

The reason I'm going to reformat is because the Reason I have is something my boy sent, so I ordered the actual program. I'm trying to be legit with this music stuff. Plus, I just need to reformat anyway.

lol, i wasn't going to ask, but seeing as you mentioned that. Cracked programs can be a bit of a lucky dip sometimes, good idea on buying a legit copy.

Back