my bounced files are longer than original

Karl Lohninger

I'm de-noising lots of stems and tracks for a tv production. To not bog down my system completely I try to bounce stems and then replace the original audio file with the bounced one. ONLY, the bounced stems are all longer than the original. Way longer actually: a one minute long file comes back 6 sec longer.
All files were imported via omf from Final Cut as they were, 48k 16 bit. My session in 48k 24 bit. I made sure timecode is identical (29.97 drop).

Why are my bounced files longer. Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!

screenshot.jpg

The mystery deepens:

in the scenario described before the way I put the file back into a new track was by dragging it there from the folder.

Now I tested the same file by 'importing' it via 'importing audio file' and now the length is exact and correct.

Of course I'm happy that I can keep on working BUT:

why is that so? What setting do I have wrong that this happens....?

Anybody ?

I bet it has to do with your sample rate. You probably bounced it as 44.1K but then imported it back into a 48K session without converting. That's be my guess!

The difference between 44.1 and 48 on a 60 second file would be exactly 5.28 seconds, so (allowing for you rounding off the differences) my money's also with JeffroMixesYou.

The import function gives you a chance to convert the file to the session parameters. It can also move the audio files in to the session's folder to keep everything tidy.

Back