mono/stereo...

jman1986

If i just make 2 mono tracks, and pan one left, and one right? will that be considered a stereo track?? but when i do that it still sounds mono.... it's hard to tell if it's in stereo, when i mute one or the other track u hear it in the other ear way in corner, and vice verca... but when they are both playing back together they sound mono,( even though they are both panned all the way to the left and right) It almost sounds like it's in the dead center, when i don't want that.

i am fed up with this mono stereo crap, i just want it to work!! :mad:

any suggestions? :confused:

If i just make 2 mono tracks, and pan one left, and one right? will that be considered a stereo track??

No; you're still using 2 mono tracks. To create a stereo track, when you're in the "new track" window make sure it says "create 1 STEREO audio track".

but when i do that it still sounds mono.... it's hard to tell if it's in stereo, when i mute one or the other track u hear it in the other ear way in corner, and vice verca... but when they are both playing back together they sound mono,( even though they are both panned all the way to the left and right) It almost sounds like it's in the dead center, when i don't want that.

What is it that you're doing this with? If it is identical audio files then panning one hard left and one hard right is not going to create stereo - you're still using a mono source. If it's a guitar part, try recording it twice and panning the first performance left and the second performance right...

Also check to make sure your monitors and properly placed. I pan two tracks left and right all the time and can certainly hear the difference between doing that and leaving it center panned.

ok, i am using pro tools m-powered 7.3. When i do create a stereo track, the L of the track only works, and the R doesn't play anything at all, i though that if i hook up 2 mics (sm57's) then i could have them both working, i am using the audiophile 2496 PCI card, with RCA jacks, so on my mixer i have 2 mics going in channels one and 2 (XLR), and then going out of the "Tape out" of the RCA jacks of the mixer into the RCA jacks on the card.

i though with channel one would go to L and Channel 2 would go to R and show up on pro tools like that when i setup the stereo track. Because right now they both play out of the L of the stereo track.

are you panning the tracks on the mixer the mics are plugged into? Is channel one panned hard left and channel two panned hard right?

what mixer are you using? Does it have headphone outputs on it? Plug headphones into the mixer to see if you are hearing it only on one side

yep i tried that to lol, no they are both panned in the middle, if i pann either of the channels hard right or left it doesn't affect anything in pro tools, they both stay dead center, i am using a behringer eurorack UB802 mixer.

yep i tried that to lol, no they are both panned in the middle, if i pann either of the channels hard right or left it doesn't affect anything in pro tools, they both stay dead center, i am using a behringer eurorack UB802 mixer.

Don't pan it in the middle. no, it shouldn't effect anything drastically in Pro Tools, but it's simple pan laws. If you want the signal to go out ONLY on the left channel on the mixer (to go into channel one in Pro Tools), you pan the mixer left. And vice versa for channel two on the mixer....pan it right and it will go out the right of the tape outputs.

And I'll ask again, have you plugged headphones into the mixer? Do you hear both channels?

If the headphones sound fine, then make sure the stereo track in PT is set to 1-2 and it's outputs are set to 1-2. If that's fine check your I/O setup window is configured correctly. If THAT is right...check your speakers and their connections.

ok, yes there is a headphone jack on the mixer, when i plug my headphones in i heard one mic in one ear and the other mic in my other ear.

I am sorta confused about what you mean by the tape outputs, i don't see anthing in pro tools that says i can pann that right speaker to the right, I went into my I/O settings and everything is fine, all my connections are fine to.

So right now there is only a signal going to the Left ear, and nothing going to the Right ear.

I only have one RCA cable to, going from the tape out of the mixer into the input on the PCI card, am i saposed to have the outputrca's on the PCI card going into the "tape in" on the mixer?

I am sorta confused about what you mean by the tape outputs, i don't see anthing in pro tools that says i can pann that right speaker to the right, I went into my I/O settings and everything is fine, all my connections are fine to.

not in Pro Tools...on the mixer.
Okay, let's work this from the beginning.

1) You have two microphones on a guitar cab (or whatever you're micing).
2) Each microphone is plugged into it's own XLR input on the mixer....so it each has it's own channel
3) Those two channels are being fed to the main output on the mixer. At the same time, it's also being fed to the tape outputs (in stereo)
4) To get each microphone to be fed to it's own individual output, you need to pan the first channel on the mixer to the left...and the second channel of the mixer to the right. This sends channel 1/mic 1 to the Tape Out Left and channel 2/mic 2 to Tape Out Right.
5) Connect the mixer to the Audiophile card with TWO RCA cables. One plugged into Tape Out L that runs to Audiophile input 1, and the other cable plugged into Tape Out R that runs to Audiophile input 2.
6) In Pro Tools create two mono tracks (or one single stereo track...they're the same thing essentially) and set the inputs to Channels 1-2.
7) Record arm the track(s) and you should see level on both sides
8) Plug the outputs of the Audiophile into a pair of speakers

BRO I GOT IT WORKING!!!!!

guess what was wrong with it...
the RCA cable, i did everything right the first first time, and after thinking about it i changed the RCA cables and it just worked out of no were perfectly fine!

so thanks for all your all your help! :):D

Last edited:
Back