Monitoring with plug ins?

RFR

Scratching my head on this one.

Running focusrite saffire with the mix software for no latency monitoring.

Recording scratch tracks into PT. Im using the 11rack plug in to get "kind of a sound".

However all i can hear while recording is the dry, straight into the interface, direct guitar.

Upon playback I can hear the amp sim. But the dry signal isn't very inspiring when tracking.
Is there a way to hear the "amp" while getting s direct signal inro the daw?

This is just for writing purposes, for real recording, I'll use an amp.

HI,
If you're using the safari mix software for zero latency then you won't be able to hear any live processing through Protools.
That's exactly what zero latency monitoring is - you hear the audio before it gets processed by the computer, as computer processing is the bit that takes time and introduces latency.

If you want to monitor live effects, and there's no reason that modest latency should be a problem, you'll want to disable or mute the channels on the safari software, and set Protools into record arm mode with the option for 'real time monitoring' enabled under one of the menus.

Exactly how it works depends on your protools version. I'm on version 12 so there's record arm and input monitor buttons for every track.
You may have to set buffer size to low and disable delay compensation for the time being.

I think Protools has low latency monitoring too which, I think, does the same thing as your saffire.
In short, you'll need to quit the saffire software then figure out exactly what way Protools is currently set, and take it from there.

Yeah, that makes sense seeing how the saffire mix software is designed for direct monitoring of the input plus what is coming off pro tools.

Ive just begun to scratch the surface of both software pieces. Lots to learn. Thanks for your response

No probs. I guess it's tricky to get sorted when it's all new and foreign software, but it's simple enough once you get going.
Gimme a shout if you've any problems. :)

Back