mbox is driving me crazy

KylMac55

I am usually the type who tries to figure out problems on my own but after attempting to for two years I figure it’s time to reach out for help.
Two years ago I upgraded my home studio. I needed more computer power and everyone recommended an iMac, I had previously been Windows based. Since I was happy with ProTools I purchased the newest version, ProTools 10, bundled with the Mbox Pro 3.
The problems started with installation. I had to call support and they`1 took control of my computer remotely and installed it.
Yet when I booted up the next day the computer couldn’t recognize the Mbox.
Support took control remotely once again. And we continued to do this for two more days. Then I was cut loose and informed that I had used up all my calls under there support plan. That alone is so obnoxious. A big company like that doesn’t solve a problem with a brand new purchase but wants to be paid to solve a problem. Well I figured I would have to do it on my own.
And to a degree I did. The main problem I have had for the past few years has been when I boot up the Mbox says hardware not connected even though it is without a doubt connected. The only remedy seems to be to shut down both the Mbox and the computer and boot them both up again. And again. And again. Sometimes it is infuriating the amount of times I have to reboot to get this to work. But it finally does and I can work all day without a problem.
However as time went on, and without any software updates, the problems increased.
Every time I bounce down, just as the song ends, an enormously loud digital noise comes screaming through the speakers. The bounce is fine but I have to close the session to get rid of the obnoxious noise. As time went on I get the digital noise when I use looped playback. The section won’t loop, it just ends, and as it ends the digital noise starts.
As annoying as these problems are I could live with them. But now it has become unbearable.
Now I have to restart the computer and Mbox 15 or 20 times before it says hardware connected. And once it says hardware connected there is no sound. It is ridiculous because I literally have to reboot for hours sometimes to get both hardware connected plus sound. It is so frustrating. I finally started upgrading the software figuring it couldn’t hurt now but it was no help. I have tried upgrading, returning to a previous software version, upgrading both Mbox and Protools, upgrading just one, just trying any combination to try to make the system work. Yet nothing works.
If I could afford it I would dump the whole system and try a new one but right now that’s not an option. I have searched all the forums and tons of websites and no one seems to have the problem I do. If any of you can think of something that may solve this obnoxios problem I would be forever grateful. I think you can imagine I am at the end of my rope.
Thank you in advance
Bob

iMac
2.7GHz intelcore i5
4GB 1333MHz DDR3

Protools 10.3.7
Mbox pro 3
Package 1.1.5
Firmware 1.0.3

I am so not a MAC guy, but it sounds to me like it could be something as simple as a bad cable or port. Have you tried another cable or port?

I am so not a MAC guy, but it sounds to me like it could be something as simple as a bad cable or port. Have you tried another cable or port?

yeah i've tried both those ideas and everything else i could think of. thanks for trying though

Cannot find hardware means either it physically can't be found (broken, damaged, bad cable, usb/firewire chipset fault), or the interface drivers aren't install or are the wrong version.

The version you have seems to be right but I'd check in system information to make sure that's really what's being loaded.
(Down the left side under software, click 'extensions'.)
You could have multiple versions being called, I guess.

For now I'd unplug all unecessary peripherals. Printers, usb hard drives, etc.
Anything that could possibly conflict or cause problems.

I had some similar problems when I upgraded from PT LE8 with an MBox 2 and went to a new MacBook Pro and upgraded to PT10. In my case it wasn't that it couldn't connect the MBox, but that the session degraded into a bunch of digital noise the longer I worked on a session. I tried new cables, and checked for updated files but nothing worked. It would work for a while and then the digital noise would start to creep in and I would need to re-boot. As you well know, this becomes untenable very quickly. I finally suspected that it was the MBox that was the problem, so I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I pretty much plugged it in and it worked like a charm. I did have some problems downloading their free plugins, but that was resolved with a call to Focusrite. So, I would suggest you buy or borrow a different DAW and try it.
Good luck...
TweedyBird

Back